300 students flock to fair

Career fair offers opportunities
 300 students flock to fair
300 students flock to fair

300 students flock to fair

Aydin Nazmi planned on going overseas this summer to help thechildren of Iran. He began working to raise money for the tripmonths ago so he could improve the education and general quality oflife for needy families. But at Wednesday’s Nonprofit Careerand Volunteer Fair, Nazmi discovered help for his cause.

The SMU Cary M. Maguire Center for Ethics and PublicResponsibility offers students the opportunity to apply forinternships, which, according to the center’s Web site,”enables them to engage in public service where financialcircumstances might not otherwise allow.”

A representative from the Maguire Center at the career fairoffered Nazmi information about the center’s programs. Afterlearning of the opportunities available, he plans to apply for aninternship.

“The money I earn will help me be able to continue mywork,” he said.

Nazmi, a biochemistry major, works with children under fostercare in the United States and Europe. He helps them receive needededucational supplies and provides them with the presents theirfamilies cannot afford. His summer plans to go to Iran were on holduntil he raised the necessary funds. “I had only been able toraise $400,” he said. “Now, if I can intern with theMaguire Center, I can hopefully break even and use the money Iraised to help other foster kids.”

The Center for Nonprofit Management, the Volunteer Center ofDallas County, the Office of Leadership and Community Involvementand the Hegi Family Career Development Center sponsoredWednesday’s fair.

Dr. Carol Clyde, Director of Leadership and CommunityInvolvement, said more than 300 students stopped by to eat pizzaand talk to representatives from 43 various nonprofitorganizations, all seeking volunteers.

Ambassadors from several organizations remarked on the qualityof students who attended the fair.

Megan Burkholder, the Dallas regional recruiter for the PeaceCorps, said she is always very impressed with the students fromSMU. “We always need individuals who are active oncampus,” she said. “You have to be able to takecharge.” According to Burkholder, SMU is “neck andneck” with Texas Christian University in participating PeaceCorps volunteers.

Sandy Hinkle feels the same way when speaking of theMustangs.

Hinkle, the representative from Hostelling International, saidSMU students are always extremely enthusiastic about volunteeringtheir time and energy. “We figure it’s a great way forpeople to get to know one another. And if you know them, youwon’t shoot at them,” she said.

Just as career representatives were enamored with thestudents’ demeanor, those in attendance felt the eventprovided valuable information and advice.

Adalys Castellanos said she liked the variety of organizationsavailable, but wished more on-campus service groups were present.”It would have been nice to find out more about theorganizations within walking distance,” she explained.

Before leaving the fair, students were asked to fill out formscritiquing their experience. The information collected will be usedto keep future career fairs up-to-date with students’needs.

Those who turned in critiques were entered into drawings forgift certificates donated from Texadelphia, Roly Poly, JD Chippery,Terilli’s Restaurant & Bar, Houston’s, Jonas AvedaSalon, SMU Athletics and the SMU Women’s Center.