Fashion with Fischer: Take One

Believe me, I am no expert in the fashion field. Nor will I everclaim to be. But I will, and do, pride myself at taking chances.SMU is a school full of label gurus, where students walk aroundcampus clad with the newest Louis Vuitton purses and latest JuicyCouture styles. I do not copy what fashion magazines or”experts” say is the newest and upcoming trends. Nor doI ever expect readers to take what I have written and followverbatim.

I will proudly declare, however, that although I do not followin the steps of many SMU students, my style has become apersonalized and creative movement. Yes, that’s right —a movement. Style is just that — a level of comfort andbohemian qualities that express who you are. My style is notcovered with labels, but with colors, textures and patterns that Ifeel good in. And your attitude reflects that, believe me.

My Microsoft Word’s dictionary defines style as a way ofdoing something, especially a way regarded as expressing aparticular attitude or typifying a particular period (often used incombination);… “An impressive flair in the waysomething is done, especially a quality that suggests aself-confident willingness to exhibit skill or good taste;Fashionable status or quality;… Extravagance orlavishness.”

Style is your own. It is the clothing that you feel comfortablein. Style is not buying the newest style of hot-pants a size toosmall because you are afraid of buying your appropriate size. Styleis something you create, something tailored to your body, skin toneand even personality.

Similar to writing a paper, personal style can either be simpleand natural, or a strained and agonizing struggle. Either the manmakes the clothes, or the clothes make the man. It is a fine linebetween the two, and there is no right or wrong answer. But beforeyou head off to class or Chaucer’s, keep in mind that you caneither wear your clothes with comfort or they’re going to bewearing you.

I have taken the liberty to brief on some basic clothing items,all of which are staples on campus. These fashionable pieces arecompletely unisex and one should feel a supreme sense of comfortand confidence when wearing them.

Rainbow Sandals

These have long been gracing the feet of SMU students, fromMonday morning classes to Saturday night bars. These durable andextremely comfortable sandals have become more than just a pair ofshoes, but a necessity. I’m now on my second pair, as myfirst ones had become so worn and battered, the front corner hadwithered to the ground. With styles such as the white hemp, darkpremium leathers and colored double stacking for extra-archsupport, the unisex sandals have a fit and style for everyone.

Formerly and selectively found in local California and Floridasurf shops, Rainbows are now available at local stores such asCotton Island and Dillard’s, as well as online atwww.RainbowSandals.com. I must admit, I have a little shallow sideto me — one of the most attractive and easy outfits a guy canwear are the effortlessly cool Rainbows, a collared shirt andanything in between (check out J. Crew for “manly”short colors such as Mandarin, Pomegranate and Dutch Blue).Bringing me to my next point…

Collared shirts

Both males and females alike have a new addiction, andit’s not illegal this time. From Lacoste, Polo andAbercrombie & Fitch, bright colors and collars are popping upall over campus (Collar up, collar down, it’s your choice).Does anyone else feel a sense of déjà vu from the‘80s? I recently took a visit to Hollister, which featuresall the same styles as A&F but at half the price, aimed attweens. Their colored shirts are great, in the standard A&Fcolors, for less than $20. Just make sure to get the larger sizes,unless you have the body of a thirteen-year-old.

So get your “impressive flair” out to the Boulevardat this weekend’s first home game. Stay cool in linensundresses and shorts. Support the Mustangs in your lightest redcotton shirt (dark blue and heavy cottons will attract the sun andmake you overheated) when you sit in the student section of FordStadium.

I’ll be back each week, discussing the good, bad andpossibly ugly. Just remember, don’t’ let your clotheswear you. Feel good about yourself and your decisions — notjust with what you wear outside your room or to the Boulevard, butin each choice you make in life.