Taking a stand

Ed Board is proud and grateful students are getting motivated

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Pretty powerful stuff, huh?

Over the past two weeks, The Daily Campus opinion page has played host to an open market of ideas and feelings. We’ve heard from Professor George Henson, an outspoken advocate for gay rights. His opinions don’t necessarily sit well with some students, and they have had the opportunity to express their beliefs in the opinion page as well. We have received so many submissions, we can’t fit them all on the page, and we’ve had to start posting some commentaries online.

Regardless of where you stand on the issues that have been debated on The Daily Campus’ humble pages, it is obvious that our community can be a passionate one, and Ed Board loves this.

It’s great that our normally apathetic student body has found a cause to get motivated and speak out about. Ed Board just hopes this isn’t a passing phase.

The opinion page is open to everyone in the SMU community to share their opinions on the issues that concern them. It’s Ed Board’s hope that the buzz about The Daily Campus opinion page will continue, and more members of our community will be moved to write and submit commentaries about other issues as well.

If you were around Dallas Hall yesterday afternoon, chances are you saw a group of students protesting. Silently positioning themselves around the fountain and grassy area in front of Dallas Hall. The students were protesting social stereotypes. The bold actions of these students should be commended; not just for taking a stand, but also for the mature and classy way they did it.

Just like the commentaries that appear in The Daily Campus’ opinion page, the event that happened today is what makes the first amendment so great. Even when we disagree, we find ways to show our points of view and make our voices heard.

Ed Board wants to give yesterday’s protestors a tip of the cap for taking a stand and getting motivated to do what they think is right, way to go.

Keep it up SMU. Keep writing those commentaries. Keep being moved to take a stand for whatever it is you believe in. That’s what college is about. Everyone is passionate about something; we want you to share it with us. We always welcome your submissions, so keep ’em coming.