Phillips File: Spring Bling

Phillips File
Phillips File

Phillips File

Welcome back Mustang fans to my final spring football column. First, hats off to the fans that attended the game on Saturday. For those of you who did not show up, I hope you have a pretty good reason! Attending your sister’s wedding doesn’t count. I mean what’s a weekend without a little pigskin? But seriously, without fan support this team would not be where it is today.

This spring was not like others in the past. But mainly because we weren’t as young of a team as we have been. Therefore, the coaches were able to do more coaching toward the older guys and teaching for the younger players. Coach Phil Bennett urged the older players to grab the younger ones and bring them aboard, meaning get them caught up for what’s about to happen this fall: A C-USA championship and a bowl game. That is our goal, and we can’t wait to get started for it this August. Before I jump the gun, I’ll wrap up how the Red and Blue Game went.

Before the game, the seniors held a players only meeting and told everyone to “go out there and have fun.” I think that’s what we did. As players, a lot of times we get wrapped up in technique or fundamentals so much that we forget that it’s just a game and we should have fun. I mean, who cares that there’s thousands of screaming fans in the stands, and your own mother just might disown you if you blow the game -winning touchdown. Jokingly, but who cares? It’s just a game, so we as fans and players must remember that.

The game was fun to watch and play in. It was exciting, especially watching Johnnie Fitzgerald make nice cuts and run up and down the field. Fitzgerald finished with 10 carries for 67 yards. Fred Turner also turned heads with two touchdowns Saturday. Blake Warren made impressive catches on the day finishing with five receptions for 46. At quarterback, Eric Johnson, Justin Willis and Corey Slater all looked sharp. Willis was the most impressive on the day completing 16-of-21 for 160 yards. As for me, it felt really good getting back into action after nearly two seasons off. This season I plan to do what ever I can to help this football program win games. Even if that means being a water boy after my eligibility, then so be it.

Defensively, there was a lot of hitting going on. I thought the defense played physical, and that’s what we’re going to need this fall. Brandon Bonds and Adrian Haywood did what they did best, and that’s play football. I was disappointed to see Jonathan Lindley bothered by an ankle sprain because he definitely will hold down his side of the field this year at the cornerback position. Justin Rogers played tough. It’s hard to block or run from the guy. He’s a definite all-conference selection.

I’m not trying to take anything away from the players who were not mentioned in this article, because everyone in my honest opinion competed and had a good spring. Saturday, every player showed why he belonged at SMU. Congratulations to my teammates and coaches on completing another spring successfully, and we hope to see all of our fans at every game this season. Go Mustangs!