Women’s Center discusses literary heroines in Oz

The Women’s Center held their third book discussion of the year Wednesday afternoon where they discussed “Ozma of Oz,” the third book of L. Frank Baum’s Oz series.

“It was one of my favorite books as a child,” Val Erwin, Women’s Center program advisor, said. “Two female characters ruling a country always interested me.”

Previous meetings have attracted a larger group, but Wednesday’s discussion had a low turnout. Only one attendee read the book.

Despite the lack of attendance, Erwin led the discussion with questions that raised points about gender roles, women sexuality, domestic violence and women in society.

Comparisons were drawn between “Ozma of Oz” and the original “Wizard of Oz” movie.

Popular children’s books are a favorite amongst the club because it allows them to reevaluate how they interpret the books now that they are adults.

“We like to see if they affect us in a positive or a negative way now that we’re older,” Erwin said.

For every book read, the group converses over different characters, depicting their roles and the message they convey to society.

This is the first year the Women’s Center has hosted the book club, which is called “Discussing Heroines.”

The group collectively chooses several books a semester. All selected books must be young adult fictions that contain a lead female character or be written by a female author.

Erwin is always open to suggestions of books to add the list. For more information about group meetings email [email protected].