Keep interview fashion stylish and professional

Don’t be too sad- the final weeks of school are drawing near, and it’s time to start interviewing for those summer internships. Internships are a great way to get your foot in the door and to get hired right after graduation. So now that you have applied and scheduled interviews, the most important question is: What will you wear?

A lot of college-aged students are clueless about what to wear on an interview. First impressions are everything, and recruiters can decide within the first five seconds weather you take the job seriously, and it all has to do with your outfit.

On an interview you must dress professionally — this means a business suit. But don’t get bummed out just because you have to wear a suit and look boring. There are tons of suits that are cut to flatter your shape and look professional but not boring.

Let’s start with color. Make sure you pick a fairly conservative color such as black, navy or brown. Sorry for all you ladies who like to wear bright colors- save that for after you get the job.

Next, decide whether you want to rock a pantsuit or a skirt suit- both can be super cute if worn in the right ways. The key to picking out a suit that looks young is in the cut. Young modern suits have shorter, tighter-fitting blazers and low-rise, boot cut pants or fitted skirts.

If you opt for a pantsuit, make sure the pants are fitted but not too tight. In other words if you have VPL (visible panty lines), the pants are too tight! Next, be sure the pants are not too long or too short. More modern suits tend to have a longer pant. A good rule of thumb when trying on suit pants is to find a pair of heels that are close to the height you will wear on the interview, and make sure the pants just barely clear the floor when wearing them. If you are not wearing a pair, stores usually have a few pairs that you can borrow for fittings.

If you want to wear a skirt suit, the same rules apply with the fit. You have a little more versatility with a skirt. You can go for cute details such as pleats, an A-line cut or even a tulip skirt (it fits tight in the waist and thighs and slightly flares out at the bottom). Ladies, make sure your skirt hits at or below your knees because an interview is not the time to show off what your weekly Pilates workouts have done for your thighs!

If you want a cute modern suit you have to shop at the right stores. Try places that have upscale, young clothes such as Club Monaco, Banana Republic or even department stores such as Macy’s or Nordstrom. But, be careful in department stores, especially in the junior departments where the suits are often cutely cut but made of cheap fabrics. Avoid anything synthetic such as polyester. This will be a dead age giveaway to recruiters, and you don’t want them to write you off because they feel you are too young or inexperienced for the position.

Once you find the perfect suit, it’s time to get a cute shirt with a color that complements the suit. This is where you can let your personality shine through a bit. Express stores have cute button-up shirts in almost every color and pattern imaginable. If you don’t do button ups, you can try a cute camisole or even a mod, high-collared shirt, which is very en vogue.

You can also show off your personal style through your selection of accessories. You don’t have to opt for boring silver studs- you can go with some cute colored pearls or some small chandelier earrings that go with your shirt. During interviews, less is always more with accessories. This means no more than one ring per finger, simple necklaces and absolutely no facial jewelry, not even little nose rings, even if they are super cute and indiscrete. I have one and I love it, but I always make sure I take it out for every interview.

For the finishing touches, some killer shoes will complete your look. Ladies, be careful here- DO NOT wear open toed sandals or sling backs; this is a huge interview no-no. Go for a pair of hot stilettos in a neutral shade (black, brown, navy or tan), but be sure they are not too high; remember, you are trying to look professional, not skanky. Also, don’t forget the panty hoes. I know, I hate them too because they are hot and itchy, but some offices find bare legs inappropriate, so get over it and wear a pair.

And with all this newfound interview fashion knowledge, you’ll be sure to get the job!

Whitney Patterson is a sophomore CCPA major and can be reached at [email protected].