Women’s group hosts safe sex event

What do bananas, banana splits and condoms have in common? That specific question was answered yesterday at Hughes Trigg Student Center as Kathy Soutter of the Women’s Interest Network presented “Going Bananas With Condoms.” Students enjoyed banana splits, while working in pairs to learn how to properly apply a condom.

Soutter shared with the attendees during the application that “we are practicing safe sex.”

“Sex even in the context of a committed relationship presents dangers for STD’s and potential pregnancy. Condoms even when properly used carry an average failure rate of eight percent.” Soutter stated that failure is usually due to breaks occurring “while opening the package alongside defective production.”

She added that “timing is everything!” She also said the best time to put on a condom is “as soon as possible” and emphasized that many young people think that they can delay the application at the last minute and be safe. Soutter told the group that was false. She said the best possible protection is abstinence and that women need to take the time to make a conscious decision as to what sexual activity they want to be involved in. She encouraged women to define and set their own personal limits and to stick to them. “Be comfortable with the limits you set,” she added. “Know your value system and communicate that to your partner as soon as possible.”

Soutter also encouraged women to be prepared to fight if they are pushed beyond the boundaries they have set for themselves. Soutter emphasized that students should be aware of what is going on around them. Alcohol and drugs such as Rohypnol, GHB and Xanex are all used to enable sexual assaults. Even the user is not aware of what the exact effect will be on its victim.

An important issue discussed was the idea that women need to be properly informed of the facts, dangers and proper methods to protect themselves if they make the decision to be sexually active.

Kate Brown, a student who helped organize the event, said, “If we can help at least one person with this information, we have done our job.”