Barbie, Ken seek advice on whether they should get together again

Online participants will be able to vote to reunite the iconic toy couple for Valentine’s Day on www.barbieandken.com.
HALEY WITHERS/The Daily Campus

Online participants will be able to vote to reunite the iconic toy couple for Valentine’s Day on www.barbieandken.com. (HALEY WITHERS/The Daily Campus)

“Barbie, we may be plastic, but our love is real,” reads one of Ken’s many billboards posted throughout Southern California and New York City this month.

Back in 2004, Barbie and Ken split on Valentine’s Day and this year Ken is on a mission to win his doll back in time for the holiday.

The nationwide campaign includes a huge social media marketing push. The dolls each have their own page on Facebook and Twitter, where they have been asking for Barbie and Ken fans to express their opinions on the couple’s relationship.

The Ken doll’s Twitter page, @OfficialKen, has sent out multiple twitter pleas asking for his followers to vote for him and Barbie to get back together.

He tweeted, “Barbie and I are destined to be together, don’t you think? Vote YES for her to take me back on BarbieandKen.com!”

BarbieandKen.com was set up for people to place their votes. The website also features the history of Barbie and Ken as a couple.

Barbie has utilized Facebook to help gather public support for the couple.

In one of her latest status updates she wrote, “This whole Ken thing has me feeling completely confused. He’s made it no secret that he wants to get back together, but is it the right decision? Advice needed.”

Some SMU students have some advice for the potential couple.

“Barbie should absolutely take Ken back,” senior Sarah Bennett said. “They belong together.”

“I think Barbie should kick Ken to the curb because he hooked up with Astronaut Barbie,” junior Mason Galloway said.

The contest is part of a new marketing campaign by Mattel and it has gained a serious following. Ken’s Twitter page has over 7,000 followers and more than 34,000 people have “liked” his Facebook page.

Barbie’s numbers are even more impressive with more than 33,000 followers on Twitter and more than 1.5 million “likes” on her Facebook.

The campaign was launched at the same time as the new Hulu reality show, The Genuine Ken: The Search for the Great American Boyfriend, and it coincides with the upcoming release of the new “Sweet Talking Ken Doll.”

To help Barbie decide if she should take Ken back this Valentine’s Day, vote online at BarbieandKen.com.