A buzz kill, if you will

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Today the Republican National Committee kicked off its convention in St. Paul, MN, but to a tune it had not expected. Instead of uninterrupted discussion about McCain’s unconventional vice presidential choice, Hurricane Gustav captured the majority of headlines this past weekend.

“We need to take off our Republican hats and put on our American hats,” Senator McCain urged during a teleconference from St. Louis on Sunday. “I hope we…will act together…open our arms…to those in our society who need it.”

Yesterday the Chairman for the Republican National Committee Mike Duncan issued a statement confirming that the party would respect the situation in the Gulf coast.

“We won’t be engaging in any political rhetoric,” Duncan stated Sunday.

Instead of a traditional opening ceremony, today’s events focused strictly on the required business the committee must conduct including the official opening of the convention, adopting the rules of the committee, electing officers and adopting the party’s official platform. Most speakers, including the President and Governor Schwarzenneger of Calif., were canceled. First Lady Laura Bush spoke tonight, though partisan politics were ignored.

“This is a time when we have to do away with party politics,” said McCain. “It’s a time for action.”

National media seemed to agree, with many networks splitting the coverage intended for St. Paul with New Orleans and other Gulf Coast locations expecting devastation from Gustav. Despite decreasing to a level two hurricane, reports of unsubstantial damage are premature as flooding and tornadoes could still hit the area in the next twelve hours.

There are no predictions for the RNC’s schedule this week, either. The RNC charted a flight for delegates from La. to either return home to their families or even bring their families to join them in St. Paul to wait our the storms.

“We want to be respectful of the situation in the Gulf. We can’t predict [what’s going to happen],” said Rick Davis, McCain’s campaign manager. “There’s no pattern to react to this. We’ll use our resources to put on the best convention we can.”