Football needs support from fans

Jones era needs to be given time in order to fully succeed

Get excited Mustangs because football season starts up again tonight against the Rice Owls. This season figure to be one of SMU’s more exciting seasons in twenty years for a multitude of reasons. In order for the season to fully succeed, however, the football team needs the full support of the entire SMU community.

There are many ways for the community to support the football team. The most obvious, and maybe even most important, is for everyone to attend the games.

Attendance is usually good at the start of the game, but as the second half starts up, people tend to trickle out. Let’s make an effort to make it all four quarters this year.

At least this year the games will be entertaining to watch. The run ‘n shoot offense should provide excitement for the entire game, even if every game does not result in a win this year.

This week the game is in Houston, so obviously most people will not be attending. However, there is a watch party in front of Dallas Hall that will energize the fan base for the first home game next weekend against Texas State.

At the Texas State game, another way to support the team, besides showing up to the game, is to wear SMU blue and red. This is not essential, but try not to wear the opposing teams colors. That looks ridiculous.

While the football advertising campaign portrays head coach June Jones as the savior of SMU football, which hopefully is true, expectations about this upcoming season need to be somewhat based on realism. Part of being a fan is believing that your team can win, even if the odds are stacked against it.

However, optimism should not lead SMU fans to believe the team is destined for a bowl game this year. It could happen. SMU does not play the toughest schedule in the world. But, this team only won one game last year and is starting a true freshman at quarterback behind an inexperienced offensive line.

These facts should not discourage fans or bring down the excitement level in any way. This dose of realism is only meant to make a possible slow start tolerable.

The SMU football program and fans have many reasons for the high level of excitement surrounding this upcoming season. The football team need the full support of the SMU community in order for the this season and the SMU program to succeed.