Mustangs start season with C-USA foe

SMU opens 2008 against Rice in Houston
Wide receiver Aldrick Robinson gets caught mid-air by a Rice defender in a 43-42 loss at Ford Stadium last season.
Stuart Palley

Wide receiver Aldrick Robinson gets caught mid-air by a Rice defender in a 43-42 loss at Ford Stadium last season. (Stuart Palley)

It’s finally time for the Mustangs to take the field in 2008.

There aren’t too many components that will remind you of the 1-11 team from a year ago. Phil Bennett is no longer on the sidelines, Justin Willis wont be lining up behind the center and you wont see wearing blue helmets or the red Nike jerseys from last season.

But don’t put all your eggs in the ‘new quarterback, new coach and new jerseys’ basket just yet. In a press conference during fall practices new head coach June Jones said that in his first season at Hawaii they lost their first game 62-7 against USC.

That team went on to win nine games and defeated Oregon State 23-17 in the O’ahu Bowl.

The Mustangs have the tough task of facing a conference opponent to start the season. With Jones’ intricate offense and a freshman quarterback leading the way, things could start out a little shaky.

After announcing that freshmen Bo Levi Mitchell and Braden Smith were his top two candidates for the starting job two weeks ago, Jones said that their “heads will be swimming” trying to figure out the offense.

If everything has clicked by tonight look for the Mustangs to put up more points than the combined 12 points they have scored the past two season openers. But if everything hasn’t clicked it could be a long night for the offense and the Mustangs.

Rice returns quarterback Chase Clement and wide receiver Jarett Dillard who have turned around the Rice offense in the past three seasons.

Mitchell is from the Houston area and played at Katy High School, winning the state championship.

The past two seasons the Mustangs have lost tough games to the Owls.

Two seasons ago it was a loss that kept SMU at six wins for the season and out of a post-season game. Last year it was a last second field goal that gave Rice the 43-42 win to ruin the Mustangs’ homecoming.

This year it will be another big game against the Owls. With Jones and Mitchell making their SMU debuts and the game being nationally televised on ESPN, a lot of eyes will be on the Mustangs.

Kickoff is at 7 p.m. at Rice Stadium in Houston.