Men’s golf finishes 2nd in last fall tournament

The SMU men’s golf team finished strong in their last tournament of the fall semester, finishing second to No. 12 Texas A&M University at the Baylor Intercollegiate tournament this week.

The Aggies won the tournament last year and attended this year’s tournament ready to defend their title. However, this was not the first time that A&M foiled the Mustangs in their goal to win it all. At the Lonestar Invitational last week in San Antonio, the Mustangs trailed behind A&M, who won the tournament with a four-point lead over SMU.

SMU faced some very stiff competition with 12 of the teams being ranked in the top-50. In addition to No. 16 A&M, other ranked teams include No. 10 Texas and No. 14 Arkansas. SMU is ranked No. 15.

On Monday, heavy rain postponed the day’s second round of competition, leaving SMU in fourth place with a score of 14-over 300. Host Baylor University was ranked fifth, one point behind the Mustangs at 15-over 297.

When play resumed, the Mustangs climbed up the leader board to take second with a score of one-under 851. Last year, the Mustangs took seventh at the tournament.

Leading the team was sophomore James Kwon who took first in the individual portion with a 6-under 207. Kwon also won the individual 2008 Baylor Intercollegiate title last year. Junior Kelly Kraft finished fifth at 2-under 211.