Mustangs look to knock off No.17 Houston

Senior linebacker, Chase Kennemer (center) watches the Mustangs special teams unit take to the field during a 2009 season game at Ford Stadium. CASEY LEE/The Daily Campus
Senior linebacker, Chase Kennemer (center) watches the Mustangs’ special teams unit take to the field during a 2009 season game at Ford Stadium. CASEY LEE/The Daily Campus

This weekend’s game against the No. 17 University of Houston Cougars features Houston’s top-ranked offense against SMU’s defense, ranked second in the nation in interceptions.

The nationally ranked Cougars (5-1,1-1) host the Mustangs riding a two-game win streak; their only loss coming in a 58-41 defeat against the University of Texas at El Paso in September. SMU, posting a 3-3 season record and perfect 2-0 Conference USA record, enters the first of a two-week road trip tied for first place with Tulsa in the West Division.

A win for the Mustangs would give SMU its third consecutive win in C-USA and its first win over a ranked opponent since 1986. Houston, hosting SMU for the Homecoming game, has proved to be a tough contender for the Mustangs in the past, holding a 14-9-1 overall record against SMU. The Cougars already have wins against BCS schools Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Mississippi State this season.

Houston quarterback Case Keenum, in his second year playing at Houston, has only thrown four picks this season in conjunction with a total of 2,501 yards and 19 touchdowns. The 2008 C-USA Offensive Player of the year has a .701 completion percentage coupled with 416.8 yards averaged per game.

As a whole, the Cougar offense averages 560.3 yards per game compared to SMU’s 365. Houston sophomore running back Bryce Beall leads the ground game with five touchdowns on the season, while junior wide receiver James Cleveland leads the passing game with six touchdowns and 10.5 yards per reception.

The Mustangs’ defense will have to shut down the Cougars’ 41 points per game average if they want to upset the nation’s leading passing team. Senior linebacker, Chase Kennemer, will look to improve on his five 10-plus tackle games this season in his effort to stop Houston quarterback Case Keenum.

The Mustangs currently lead C-USA and are tied for second in the nation with 13 interceptions, with senior defensive back Rock Dennis leading the team with four.

SMU’s defense was able to control Navy’s running game last week, but the Mustangs will have to show up in the second half and keep their momentum up if they want their fourth win of the season.

Junior linebacker Pete Fleps, who sustained what head coach June Jones said was a mild concussion in last weekend’s game, is expected to play, as is center Mitch Enright. Fleps, a key aspect of SMU’s defense, has 24 tackles and one forced fumble. Chris Banjo, the sophomore defensive back wearing number 23 in honor of Jerry LeVias, will also be an important factor in the Mustang’s defense as he looks to improve on his 25 season tackles and two forced fumbles.

Leading the Mustangs’ offense will be senior wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders with 240 career touchdowns and 3,033 net yards. With 29 grabs on the season, the 5-foot-11 inch Bellville, Texas native is tied with Oklahoma State’s Dez Bryant for the most touchdowns by an active NCAA player.

In comparison to Keenum, Mitchell has 12 touchdowns and 280.3 passing yards averaged per game, but is also tied for fourth in the nation with 10 interceptions thrown. With wide receivers junior Aldrick Robinson, sophomore Terrance Wilkerson and Sanders receiving, and if Mitchell’s accuracy is on, the Mustangs could keep pace with the Cougars if the offense clicks on all cylinders.

It will be a tough feat for Mitchell and company as the Houston passing defense has only allowed an average of 225.5 yards per game

In Mitchell’s last meeting against Houston, the Cougars came back from a 35-23 deficit at the start of the fourth quarter to defeat SMU 44-38. Mitchell’s last passing attempt in the final seconds of the game to tie the game was picked off.

Saturday’s game will kick off at 6:30 p.m. and can be watched on CBS College Sports.