UP residents oppose zoning proposals for presidential library

The planning of the George W. Bush Presidential Library is still causing uproar, but the discussion is now focused on parking.

According to The Dallas Morning News, the George W. Bush Foundation has proposed a change to University Park’s zoning to allow parking spaces for the future library.

Their current plans are to put the parking across the alley from residential houses that are just north of the future library’s location at SMU Boulevard and Central Expressway.

The upset homeowners have created a Web site to collaborate and voice their reactions: Parksnotparking.com.

“With 300 cars and 30 buses per day visiting the library, the additional traffic in your neighborhood will increase dramatically,” according to the site.

Along with construction and traffic causing frustration, they worry that the presence of the parking will cause problems such as visitors parking on their streets and a decrease in their property values.

However, the Bush Library Foundation is eager to keep the parking at the proposed location – to the north of the library – rather than the south. This would provide access from Central.

While the homeowners aim to join together in cyber space, they are encouraging each other to show opposition in meetings.

“The only way to stop the zoning change required to allow these large parking lots next to our homes is to have a show of support at city meetings,” according to the site.

Meanwhile, Snider Plaza is gaining attention for the proposal involving a mixed-used development for Chase Bank, just across from SMU’s law school.

The Planning and Zoning Commission will meet on Nov. 10 at 4 p.m. to discuss both the proposal submitted by the Bush Library Foundation and the proposal for Snider Plaza. The council will decide which changes to accept; the result of this decision is expected early next year.

The Bush Library Foundation has a goal of $300 million to reach for the new library. Construction is set for late 2011.