Grade the Batmen: Meet five actors who have stepped into the persona of the Dark Knight

The biggest entertainment news of the summer is the absolute box office domination courtesy of Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight.” The recent revival experienced by the Batman franchise is directly attributed to the success of the past two films. However, the franchise was almost killed in the late ’90s when Joel Schumacher helmed two Bat-films. Here are the men who have donned the costume and called themselves the Dark Knight.

Adam West

West played Batman in the ’60s when the series was at its campiest. The television series and movie were made to look like a comic book, complete with BAM! and POW! word bubbles that would pop up during fight scenes. For the look the series was going for and as the first Batman, West played the Dark Knight to the best of his ability.

Grade: B+

Michael Keaton

Keaton starred as Batman in the two Tim Burton films “Batman” and “Batman Returns.” With help from director Burton, Keaton played a dark Batman and an extremely neurotic version of alter-ego Bruce Wayne. Needless to say, there has never been a better Batman than Michael Keaton.

Grade: A

Val Kilmer

Kilmer took a different take on Bruce Wayne in 1995’s “Batman Forever” as a more introverted and tormented character. However, because of director Joel Schumacher’s inability to make as movie as good as Tim Burton’s, Kilmer’s character was lost in the cheesiness of the film. However, Kilmer was a decent choice for Batman and he did a pretty good job.

Grade: B-

George Clooney

Poor George Clooney. He openly admits to single-handedly putting a bullet in the Batman franchise. However, it wasn’t entirely his fault; “Batman and Robin” absolutely stunk. Schumacher made a terrible movie by trying to camp it up. It was as if the film was trying to pay homage to the original series. However, it just ended up making Clooney look like a horrible Batman. Sorry, George.

Grade: D

Christian Bale

Most people enjoy Christian Bale as Batman. They think he’s dark, brooding and the overall best Bruce Wayne-Batman of all time. I’ll even admit, he’s pretty good in “Batman Begins,” but what’s the deal with his guttural sounds in “The Dark Knight”? I couldn’t even understand him half the time. I think the way he plays Bruce Wayne and Batman is the right step for the series, but there’s something that just rubs me the wrong way about the guy. To me, he’s just not that great.

Grade: A or F, take your pick.