Big D: Zombies and music fans check out the Observer Music Awards nominees in Deep Ellum

Even zombies dig the tunes coming from Deep Ellum.

On Saturday Sarah Jaffe, Centro-Matic, Toadies, Old 97’s and the undead hit Deep Ellum in what must have looked like a scene from a weird Walking Dead-local music crossover TV special.

The second annual Zombie Walk started at 2p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 15 and ran until 2 a.m. the next morning. There were 2,000 to 4,000 shuffling, stumbling, moaning, decomposing zombie enthusiasts wandering Elm Street.

Can you imagine Leadbelly or Blind Lemon Jefferson watching thousands of living corpses having a riotous time in Deep Ellum? I’m sure songs like “Zombie walking blues” and “Takin’ a bite out of you” would have changed the musical landscape a little.

While the undead walked, the musician’s played. On Saturday, the fifth annual Dallas Observer Music Awards Showcase Concert began at 4:30 p.m. The showcase had 54 bands and artists playing on 10 stages throughout Deep Ellum.

The actual awards ceremony will be held on Oct. 18 at the House of Blues.

The corpse army swaying down the street to the musical accompaniment of the local music Deep Ellum is famous for is one sign of changes to the historic neighborhood.

Big D is a digital journalism class blog produced independently of The Daily Campus.