A letter to the Class of 2013

To the SMU Class of 2013,

As seniors who have been in your shoes and your dorms, we would like to impart some experiences we have shared during our years at SMU. 

Drinking happens on college campuses. We are not going to tell you not to drink or that drinking is bad; for people of age, it is legal and many people enjoy it. 

But the level of consumption by you, as incoming first-years, has gotten way out of hand. The risks to yourselves, your families, your friends, and this university are far too great for constant and incautious alcohol consumption to continue the way that it has for the past two months.  

This semester alone, over 20 students have been taken to the hospital for alcohol-related instances–a frightening statistic given that only 13 students went to the hospital during the entire ’08-’09 academic year. That shocking number does not account for those students who made it back to their dorms safely and were lucky enough to have a friend take care of them, or the numerous new Mustangs who simply crashed and luckily awoke with just a hangover. 

These statistics are a cause for concern and embarrassment; this isn’t acceptable behavior for an SMU student. You came to SMU to learn, have fun, make new friends, and create memories that last a lifetime. How is waking up “the morning after” not remembering the night before helping you accomplish your goals?

Is it cool to act like you are John Belushi in “Animal House?” Belushi died from his abuse of drugs; he is famous and loved but very, very dead.

There are both short and long term consequences to alcohol abuse. Campus organizations, from honor societies to governing councils to Greek life, are about much more than drinking; the students that these organizations accept understand this and make responsible decisions.

The three of us hold numerous positions on campus and are in a multitude of diverse organizations; we do not want you if you are a liability to our organizations. We have all put in too much work to accept someone who does not learn from their mistakes and grow. 

Organizations want students that will represent them well, not students that are coming in with low GPAs, high numbers of alcohol violations, and reputations as “that guy” or “that girl.” The same is true for future employers.

Since we have been at SMU, we have never witnessed so many alcohol violations and poisonings. It is scary.

Our first year at SMU, we experienced the death of three of our fellow classmates. Three SMU students lost their lives to drugs and/or alcohol. We remember what it was like to wake up one morning and learn that someone we loved was gone forever. 

Your drinking doesn’t affect just you; it affects your friends, your family, and your SMU community. What image are you projecting if you choose to abuse alcohol? 

The next time you are considering downing your eighth shot or are contemplating mixing alcohol with an illegal substance, we ask that you think about your parents, your friends, and your family. How would they feel if at 3 am they received a phone call explaining that you were in the hospital or worse?  How would they feel if, after all of their sacrifice to put you were you are, your life was ruined by one misguided action? 

We want to thank you for being responsible for one another when alcohol consumption has gone too far. Calling for help is the right thing to do. Become familiar with the “Call for Help” program (Medical Amnesty and Good Samaritan programs) and make the call for help when your peers’ or your own safety is in question.

If you’re out and need help, find one of the “Mustangs Who Care” by looking for a bracelet. Furthermore, just make smart choices when consuming alcohol. Sitting with your friend at the hospital is much better than sitting at his or her funeral. 

Finally, we know that not every student in the first-year class has made poor decisions and we want to thank those of you who are making the right choices and positively impacting the SMU community.

Love,

Senior Mustangs Who Care

Rachel Carey

Patrick Kobler

Nicola Muchnikoff