Immigrants tell stories

Students were given the opportunity to hear a firsthandexperience of life around the U.S.-Mexico border this week in HyerHall.

Beatrice Flores, a Mexico City native and professor at theUniversity of North Texas, spoke Wednesday evening of her latestdocumentary, Mexico-U.S. Immigration Stories.

From her interviews, Flores found many people choosing to crossthe border felt as if they were out of options in their nativeMexico, with their backs against the wall.

One man, working in a field in New Mexico, said, “The[Mexican] government doesn’t care if the migrant worker dies,drowns, whatever…they just don’t care.”

An emotional young woman in the documentary was almost broughtto tears when describing the life of migrant workers.

“The journey across…I can’t even imagine whatthat’s like,” she said.

Almost all the workers interviewed said they would rather beback in Mexico if the opportunities and chances of survival werethe same in America.

“Everything is so expensive, but our pay remains thesame,” one man said. “[We’re] the ones feedingeveryone, but [we] don’t have enough to eat.”

Flores hopes to create a better understanding of life around thetreacherous border.

“In Mexico, you are supposed to be born a free citizen,but you’re not,” she said. “The difference isjust a few miles.”