Remember to eat early

The Market’s change of operational hours shows lack of research

The Market is familiar to almost any student on campus. Thecombination of quick service, convenient location, quality productsand four methods of payment makes it a perfect store for students.However, the recent change of hours has left some students lockedout of their favorite campus eatery.

The manager of The Market, Jamil Saifan, informed Ed Board thatthe change of hours was decided by The Market’s parentcompany, Aramark. Aramark also runs two other convenience storelocations on campus: Snack Exchange in the Fincher building of thebusiness school, and Midnight Express in McElvaney hall. ObviouslyAramark believed that these other two locations, open until 9 p.m.and midnight respectively, would make up for any business lost atThe Market.

However, many students don’t even know these locationsexist. How often does a student from the north quad visit McElvaneyjust because of the munchies? A non-business student visiting theFincher building seems even more improbable. The Snack Exchangelocation in the Fincher Building is especially difficult to find(go down the staircase that starts in the courtyard, go up into theFincher building, and it’s the first door on the right– the door on the south side).

Other than the time change, the only other complaint that islikely to be brought against The Market is that of high prices.Once again, the fault is actually that of the parent company, forit sets prices for all of their locations on campus. Although someitems, like Odwalla and Rice Krispies Treats, do compare well withconvenience and even grocery store prices, most things are quiteoverpriced. However, Aramark can get away with price gouging easilybecause The Market is absolutely the most convenient place to getquick food on campus. Also, few people really notice the extraexpense because it usually goes on Pony.

For kids that pay for their own things, 7-Eleven is clearly thecheaper option. What 7-Eleven can’t offer though, is anamiable staff or acceptance of Pony Express or Flex Dollars. Anystudent that can’t find something they would like at TheMarket simply has to talk to Mr. Saifan, and he will likely get theitem in the same week. Try that at a 7-Eleven. Also, The Marketoffers a surprising array of organic and vegetarian options,something never found in any convenience store.

In short, The Market does a fine job of catering to the studentmarket. However The Market’s parent company, Aramark, shoulddo more research before arbitrarily adjusting how it operates.