Dancers leap through the lunch hour

Dancers leap through the lunch hour

The Meadows Dance Department hosted its Brown Bag Dance Series this week. SMU dance students had the opportunity to showcase intricate choreography they’ve been working on all semester.

The first piece that was shown was called “Missa de Functorum,” which was choreographed by Claire Cuny. This piece featured graceful dancing from the likes of Kaitlynn McDermitt, Niki Powell and Meg Southcott. The piece culminates in a very symbolic manner, literally lifting up dancer Jasmine White-Killins like a queen, into a living throne of sorts formed by the rest of the dancers.

Next was “Revision,” a piece choreographed by Hattie Haggard that could’ve brought us back in time by the performers’ attire. Clad in long dresses and sleeveless floral blouses, the dancers’ look gave off an old-fashioned feel with a modern flair.

Not to be overlooked, the piece will certainly cause onlookers to admire the performance because of its mixture of simplicity and elegance brought on by dancers Sarah Hailey, Rachel Murrell and Kaitlyn Klena.

The third performance, aptly titled “Mmmm,” was a very jazz-inspired piece choreographed by Shauna Davis. With the music from the Charles Mingus Big Band, onlookers can’t help but be enamored with the piece’s smooth and expressive dancing.

Dancers like Kaylah Burton and Erin Vonder Haar swayed to the selection as if they had practiced the piece for years. Ariel Monticure and Spencer Davis showed they were right at home in their jazz element, never missing a beat and always in sequence.

“Broken Cisterns” by Bre’Ann Berger came toward the middle of Brown Bag. The piece featured dancing from Berger, Caitlin Heflin, Kaitlyn Van Wagoner and others. The piece seemed to stress each dancer’s individuality and strengths, focusing more on each dancer’s expressive ability and talent over synchronized movements. This focus worked fantastically for the choreography.

The fifth performance of the show, titled “And you are…?,” was undoubtedly the most modern piece. Infused with a very hip-hop style and inspiration the piece featured Mike Posner’s popular hit “Cooler Than Me” and even featured a very special guest dancer in Travis Carlile.

Choreographed by Meg Southcott, the dancers came out in Nike Dunks, Blazers and Chuck Taylors on their feet, moving in a very synchronized and impressive manner while in street attire. Coupled with Carlile’s funky way of expressing himself, the audience is sure to both laugh and enjoy the piece.

Performer Constance Dolph’s “It’s Very Simple” was a solo piece performed by her and showed off her natural ability to sway and with the music. With a song by Philip Glass as her means to dance, Dolph’s piece was a very impressive, albeit somewhat sad, routine that was very telling of what a dancer can go through.

“Nothing Else Matters” was an act that was very reflective of its title. Kaitlyn McDermitt choreographed the piece and it showed, how passionate each dancer in the program is about their craft. With performances fromMcDermitt, along with Kyra McCarty and Megan Cotton, the piece shows off a balanced and harmonized effort that enchants the audience and shows them that in the world of dance, there is very little else that matters to it’s artists.

“Breathless” was a piece done by Tenley Dorrill. It was arguably one of the best that the show had to offer. The piece, which features dancing from Dorrill as well as a collection of others like Julie Kaye and Raven Ross, starts off with what sounds like a voice speaking in French in the background. But as it starts to go on, the sound slowly disarms the audience with the sounds and song of James Blake’s “I Mind,” fitting perfectly with the sensual and seducing nature of each dancers’ movements.

At times, the dancers would move as one, and during others Dorrill might have her own short solo, careful enough not to deviate from the main performance.

“Fanatical Flight” was the piece that came as the last performance and undoubtedly functioned as an example of the beauty that is ballet. Choreographed by Aubry Neal, each dancer came out in blue leotards, tutus and slippers that are so commonly associated with the classic ballerina with the exception of John Mingle who was the only other male in the whole show. With a combination of twirls and leaps, dancers Kelsey Rohr, EllieBlanchat and Kailey Andriot were as graceful as it gets.