Senate funds student digest

Student Senate unanimously passed legislation in support of anew student publication and the SMU Lacrosse club during itsTuesday afternoon meeting.

Dedman II Senator Adam Hill authored the bill to fund $3,315 forthe printing of Hill Topics, a weekly publication designed tofeature “commentaries and opinions concerning issues germaneto the SMU community,” including opinion columns, satiricalnews coverage, essays, advice to students and administrators andreviews of books and movies.

The $3,315 will act as the digest’s initial start-up moneyand will go to 26 editions, 10 in the fall and 16 in the spring.Hill assured Senate he had no desire to fund the publication everyyear and encouraged senators to approve the bill to encouragecampus communication.

Senate approved an amendment to the legislation to include aclause stating that Senate strongly discouraged the organizationfrom applying for additional funding next year.

Hill and the founding seven students are working with theUniversity Honors Program to facilitate distribution andcontent.

Hill also authored the bill requesting $1,290 for financialsupport of the SMU Lacrosse team. According to the bill, the team”has been one of the most successful club sports teams at theUniversity in recent years.”

The club will use the money to pay referee dues because”unless these dues are paid, the team will not be able toplay this season.”

Financial requests made by the environmental committee receivedopposite recommendations from the appropriations and financialcommittees.

The Finance Committee withheld its recommendation for $20 forsupplies and labels to continue the “Single-Stream RecyclingProgram.” In a split vote, Senate agreed to uphold thecommittee’s recommendations. Taylor Russ, chair of thefinance committee, said the committee continued to worry about theprocess of loaning the equipment out for use.

The environmental committee asked for scissors, hammers and anall-in-one staple gun. Alex Prima, the appropriations committeechair, said the appropriations committee recommended to fund infull an $84 request from the environmental committee for labels,Velcro and glue. Senate agreed to the committee’srecommendation unanimously.

In new business, Senate also listened to the introduction of abill to fund $358 for a “Boulevard Recycling program”that will be managed by the environmental committee.

In officer reports, President Hiemenz said he had an excitingmeeting with Christine Buchanan, president of Faculty Senate.Hiemenz said he and Buchanan were focused on the same issues.

“It was good to see we were on the same page,” hesaid.

The president also met with Peter Schulte, president of theStudent Bar Association, to discuss various aspects of campussafety, including the crosswalk across Daniel Avenue. Hiemenz iscontinuing his work with SMU Police Chief Mike Snellgrove toimprove general campus safety and is focusing on incorporating thelaw school into those efforts.

Director Arlene Manthey broke down in tears as she begandiscussing national and campus issues, specifically the recentdeaths of students at universities in Colorado.

“I’m also thinking as a mother,” she said in achoked voice. “It’s so important that you continue toeducate your peers about the dangers of abusing substances, likealcohol. Please keep the students at these universities in yourprayers.”

On the Docket

Next week, Senate will to vote to approve or disapprove:

A bill to fund $358 for a “Boulevard Recyclingprogram” managed by the environmental committee.