Hilltop hold ’em

Cox organization hosts first of five poker tournaments
 Hilltop hold em
Hilltop hold ’em

Hilltop hold ’em

On Sunday the Cox Entrepreneurship Organization held it’sfirst of five poker tournaments scheduled for this year.

Sixty-five students gathered in the Hughes-Trigg ballroom toplay the popular poker game Texas Hold ‘Em. Pacific Pokerdefines how to play beginning with two players placing out apredetermined amount of money so there is an initial amount to playfor. This is called posting the blinds.

These players are the two to the left of the dealer. Each playeris dealt two cards face down. These are called your hole or pocketcards. Then there is a round of betting starting with the person tothe left of the two who posted the blinds. After the betting roundends, the dealer discards the top card of the deck. This is calleda burn card.

The dealer then flips the next three cards face up on the table.These cards are called the flop. These are communal cards thatanyone can use in combination with their two pocket cards to form apoker hand. There is another round of betting starting with theplayer to the left of the dealer.

After the betting concludes, the dealer burns another card andflips one more onto the table. This is called the turn card.

Players can use this sixth card to form a five-card poker hand.The player to the left of the dealer begins another round ofbetting.

Finally, the dealer burns a card and places a final card face upon the table. This is called the river.

Players can now use any of the five cards on the table or thetwo cards in their pocket to form a five card poker hand. There isone final round of betting starting with the player to the left ofthe dealer.

After that, all of the players remaining in the game begin toreveal their hands. This begins with the player to the left of thelast player to call. The player who shows the best hand wins.

Tables were set up with eight players and a non-participatingdealer. Members of CEO, including presidents and co-founders BrianAlbrecht, a sophomore business and English double major andJonathan Sloan, a sophomore business and economics double majorhelped facilitate the event. Members of CEO brought sodas andbottled water to players during the game. The game was pausedperiodically so that students had time to get meals.

Matt Hinz, a sophomore business major said, “I startedplaying a year ago, watching on TV. Now I play twice aweek.”

It was $25 to play and $20 buy-ins the first two hours.

Hans Christ was the first player eliminated, losing thetournament in 12 minutes. The blinds were increased every 30minutes to keep the game moving because the tournament wasscheduled to end before 9 p.m. Tables were continually combined asplayers were eliminated down to the final eight.

As people started to lose or leave the tournament, randomprofanities and excited proclamations broke out.

Bill Meehan, a sophomore computer science and math double majoryelled an expletive, followed by “I hate my life!”after a three-heart flop.

Most of the students attending were male with the exception offour females that entered the tournament.

First-year Jill Brandenberg said, “My brother taught mehow to play, and I’ve always played with guys. But I love thegame, and I exceeded my expectations. So I am veryhappy.”

Other students were not so content with their placement.

Luke Peacock, a junior creative writing major swore and said,”Poker is the devil.”

The winner of the tournament was Derek Wilson with second placegoing to Adam Hill.

Wilson, a sophomore physical studies major, has been playingpoker for two years.

“I had a blast and won $300,” he said.

CEO will use the proceeds from the tournament to establishscholarship fund for incoming SMU business students and bring guestspeakers to educate members on the necessities of running asuccessful corporation.

Stromboli Café sponsored the event and donated Best Buygift certificates to the winners. First place received $300, second$200, third $100 and fourth through eighth $25.

In addition to the gift certificates, participants making thefinal table received points toward their entrance in the finaltournament, which will be held during the spring semester.

The second tournament will be held Oct. 31 in the Hughes-Triggballroom. Tables will be set up in the Hughes-Trigg commons closerto tournament time.