Candidates, campus prepare for presidential debate

‘Rock the Boulevard’ event will encourage voter registration

As President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry prepare for thecoming weeks leading up to the Nov. 2 elections, many students aremaking political plans of their own.

Tonight, more than 700 students, faculty and staff will turn thenormally tranquil Bishop Boulevard into a breeding ground fordebates, voter registration and a wide variety of politicalviewpoints and discussion.

“Rock the Boulevard”, a program sponsored byResidence Hall Association, Political Science Symposium and StudentSenate, will take place in lieu of the monthly “Blockbusteron the Boulevard.”

Beginning at 7:30 p.m. in front of Boaz Hall, stuents will beinvited to join many others as the first debate between Bush andKerry will be displayed on an oversized projection screen

“This is just one of a series of programs called‘Get It Done,'” said junior political science andcorporate communications and public affairs double major SaraHofeditz.

As President Emeritus of Political Science Symposium, Hofeditzexplained that this event is a combination of numerous campusorganizations. “This is an election year,” she said,”so I wanted to do something bigger.”

According to Student Body President Chip Hiemenz, the right tovote is one that all citizens across the nation, shouldexercise.

“The [2000] election proved that every vote counts,”he said. “[Tonight], students will have a place toregister.”

In addition to free registration, those in attendance willreceive free pizza, soft drinks and a limited supply of “Rockthe Boulevard” T-shirts, courtesy of Student Senate.

“I’m a big supporter of everyone voting and makingeducated votes,” said Residence Life and Student HousingCouncil President Alex Trifone. “By giving this opportunityto students we offer them the chance to see who they are going tobe voting for,” she said.

First year pre-business major Rachel Rossi, a Residence HallAssociation council member and president of Perkins Hall, hopes theprogram will highlight the importance of voting.

“We want to make students more aware of theirchoices,” she said, “and that their vote does count andcan make a difference.”

Admission, registration and food are all free.