Ease up on the gas

OP/ED
 Ease up on the gas
Ease up on the gas

Ease up on the gas

I was running late for class when my gas light flashed at theMockingbird exit off the tollway.

I pulled into the overpriced 7-eleven across the street from theSMU Bookstore and found, to my annoyance, that two of the fourstations were occupied by one goliath Cadillac Escalade.

I stopped on the other side of the station and got out to refuelmy midget Honda Civic. As my car chugged away, I noticed that ayoung woman in the driver’s seat of the SUV. She sat chewingher gum and looking straight forward as the numbers on her stationslowly rose.

I didn’t catch what her bill came to be, but it was alittle above $30 when my car had finished, and I left with herstill sitting in the Escalade chewing her gum.

“Sweet justice,” I thought to myself.

I have a long commute (in the time it takes me to get to SMUduring rush hour, I can drive to OU and be on time). So, I take theadvice of one of my car fanatic friends and stay in the”breathing range” where a manual transmission uses theleast amount of gasoline (your RPMs are between 2000 and 3000 infifth or sixth gear).

For me, the breathing range is around 55 to 70 mph, so Igenerally put my cruise control on at around 68 mph so that Iwon’t be tempted to speed or (cough) race.

I can’t count how many times I’ve had near misseswith oversized vehicles. At speeds well above the 55 mph limit onthe toll way, it never fails when a gigantic SUV wants to passme.

The driver tends to tailgate me (at night, his or her headlampsblind me) for a few miles before finally changing lanes, shootingme a nasty look and speeding ahead.

I’m not a car expert, but I would think if one factored inthe extra gas to accelerate, maintain that speed on the longstretch, and the weight and wind resistance of the typicalSUV’s design, that’s a lot of unnecessary gas dispelledfrom a vehicle already moving 15 mph above the speed limit.

Maybe our gas problems aren’t all across the ocean. Maybea lot of them are right here at home.

My dad told me that during the 1970s, an oil embargo caused afuel shortage in the U.S. Drivers waited in long lines at gasstations and were limited to pumping a maximum of $10 worth of fuelat a time.

Consumers were forced to strategically map out their commutes topreserve every possible drop. Dad said he ended up selling hisbeloved hot rod because he couldn’t afford to keep itfueled.

According to the New York State Police Web site, the oilshortage also caused state authorities to reduce speed limits toconserve, which led to a surprising reduction in trafficfatalities.

When the ceiling on speed limits was lifted in the 1990s,highway signs that once said 55 were now saying 70. Critics worriedthat the higher speed limit would lead to an increase in fuelprices and traffic deaths.

Here’s my point: you’re going to get from point A topoint B, whether you’re driving at 65 or 85. But driving inthe breathing range (it varies for different cars) uses the leastamount of fuel and ultimately reduces the time you spend at thepump.

I think part of our gas problem is we have too many hot shotsflooring it, dispelling too much unnecessary fuel. Big cars notonly use up more fuel; they also pose a bigger threat at highspeeds when they can’t see little cars like mine.

As much as I wouldn’t like it myself, the states need toreduce the speed limit again. As history shows, it saves fuel, andit even saves lives.

And consumers should rethink their car choices again.Contractors, soccer moms and the like need their oversized vehiclesfor their respective occupations and lifestyles. But if the biggestthing you put in your SUV is yourself and your ego, then youprobably don’t need such a large (not to mention expensive tomaintain) mode of transportation.

I’m not saying everyone needs to go out and buy a Civic.I’m just asking you to consider the possibilities. It mighthelp everyone out in the end.

Christine Dao is a senior journalism major. She may becontacted at [email protected].