Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity suspended for two years

Sigma Phi Epsilon Suspension from SMU-TV on Vimeo.

SMU officials made the decision to suspend the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity for two years Monday March 25.

Kent Best, the Executive Director of News and Communication released a statement early Tuesday.

“As of March 25, 2013, SMU has suspended for two years the Texas Upsilon Chapter of the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity because of violations of the SMU Student Code of Conduct and University policies, as well as the standards and values of the fraternity itself. SMU expects its students to uphold high standards of personal and academic integrity. The University believes it is important to take this action and expects the young men of the fraternity to learn from this experience,” Best said.

Suspensions normally last three years, but Sigma Phi Epsilon will only be suspended for two.

Sources close to the issue have said that the shortened suspension comes from all of the work Sigma Phi Epsilon has done for the SMU campus.

The fraternity suspension comes from incidents that occurred from January onward. The details of several of the incidents have yet to be confirmed, but the Feb. 4th assault of another SMU student also played a role in their suspension.

Members currently living in the Sigma Phi Epsilon house will be able to stay there for the rest of the year, but beginning in Fall 2013 the house will be used as a residence for any SMU students.

The Daily Campus has contacted Sigma Phi Epsilon President Billy Hightower. Those requests for comment have not been returned at this time.

The Daily Campus will continue to publish updates on smudailycampus.com as more information becomes available.