Tone it down!

Ed Board offers advice to Tanny McTanersons everywhere

With summer approaching – never mind yesterday’s cold front – we know many students are picking up a little habit. With Hollywood stars sporting their golden tans, most people feel less than adequate if they’re stuck with that milky winter skin look. So, to solve the problem, students are layin’ like bacon in their backyards or planning their days around trips to Palm Beach Tan.

Lately, tanning reminds us a lot of that other bad habit: smoking. We all know, and have known for quite some time, that smoking is not the best thing for us and could lead to cancer, among other things. Back in the day, people didn’t know about the horrible effects of smoking, but now that we’re all officially informed, it’s still astonishing that so many people continue to do it.

Like smoking, the effects of excessive exposure to the sun are widely known facts. There are numerous studies, newspaper articles and doctors telling you to spend some time in the shade. If that’s not enough, there’s that whole sunscreen song, circa 1999 – or your mom.

In the United States, the death rate from melanoma has climbed about 4 percent a year since 1973, with a total increase of over 50 percent. If you feel that the risk is worth sacrificing for a more golden look, think about this: being too tan doesn’t look good! It’s not natural looking – you’re not meant to be that tan! Who ever said that your natural color isn’t pretty? Nicole Kidman works it, so you can too. Plus, you’ll avoid looking like Magda from “There’s Something About Mary.” That’s definitely worth the sacrifice.

If you still want the color but don’t want the UV rays, there are some great alternatives out there today. Mystic Tan and other spray tans offer a glow that won’t damage your skin. It might be a little expensive, but in the long run, it’ll be worth it. You can also just stroll on over to CVS or Tom Thumb and you’ll find a whole shelf full of tanning lotions, sprays and gels.

We’re not saying that getting a little color is a bad thing. Like anything, remember that tanning should be done in moderation. Sure, it’s fun to lay out by the pool with your friends – just make sure you don’t do it every afternoon. And when you get tempted to stop into Palm Beach for the third time this week, remember to ask yourself, is it worth the risk?