Intellectual inconsistency part II: Rule of law

To continue on the trend of pointing out blatant intellectual inconsistencies, I’d like to discuss how it is somehow acceptable for many to choose when the rule of law applies and when it does not. It seems like a pretty straightforward situation: let the laws we have in place rule. If it were only that simple.

I feel it necessary to respond to Mr. Denson’s editorial in its entirety. To start, how about a quote on immigration. “Our federal wallet is stretched to the limit by illegal aliens getting welfare, food stamps, medical care and other benefits often without paying any taxes. Safeguards like welfare and free medical care are in place to boost Americans in need of short-term assistance. These programs were not meant to entice freeloaders and scam artists from around the world. Even worse, Americans have seen heinous crimes committed by individuals who are here illegally.”

Who in the world would dare say such awful things about illegal immigrants and the detrimental impact they are having on our country? Go ahead with your guesses, I know you want to. That awful George W? Tom DeLay? What about Reed Hanson? All wrong.

The above quote was in fact said by the current Minority Leader of the United States Senate, the one and only Senator Harry Reid of Nevada (a Democrat too, but you knew that). Now the Honorable Harry Reid is opposing nearly all forms of immigration reform. We have immigration laws in place to protect our country and allow for legal immigration. Legal immigration is what has made our country the best in the world and no one in their right mind is opposing this. Let’s let the rule of law reign and stop bickering over illegal immigration.

When Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore defied the law and put the Ten Commandments in the Alabama courthouse, those left of center and the media (though one body) reacted with their almighty vigor demanding separation of church and state be upheld, because after all, it is the rule of law. They wanted nothing less than Moore’s head on a plate, and in the end, the rule of law prevailed. I don’t have a problem with the Ten Commandments in a courthouse, but it is against the law, so it also doesn’t infuriate me that it was removed.

One would think that the left merely wants to uphold the rule of law throughout our country and were just doing their job. If one were to think this, he would be wrong.

Fast forward to 2004 when San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom defies local, state, and federal laws by granting marriage licenses to gay couples. Whether or not you agree with gay marriage, this is in clear violation of the law. The left and the media praised and sanctified him. Why didn’t the rule of law reign of his actions? Because the left dictates when they want it to and the media is dominated by the left. A quick side note, President Clinton signed into law the Defense of Marriage Act which explicitly recognizes for purposes of federal law that marriage is “a legal union of one man and one woman as husband and wife.” But please, blame the Republicans.

It’s surprising that the rule of law can come down like a crushing hammer on some while it is blatantly ignored when others violate it.

What if a conservative mayor decreed that people with the highest income tax burden only be taxed at a rate of 10 percent since they end up paying nearly 50 percent of their income and are treated unfairly? All hell would break loose.

Furthermore, what if he changed the tax law to treat everyone equally by passing a flat 15 percent tax rate for everyone above the poverty level? I don’t even have to say what would happen.

Continuing on with the lovely city of San Francisco, did you know that the city of San Francisco pays for its city employees to have sex change operations? When I say the city of San Francisco, I mean the taxpayers. This fact is lost on an overwhelming majority of Americans today. When the government spends money, it is spending OUR money. The founding fathers would have a heart attack if they knew the level of government spending or the level to which government controls our lives. I know that was slightly off-track, but it really does make me uneasy.

If you want to write something ridiculous in response to this suggesting I’m in the KKK, just remember, you only prove just how ignorant you are. I welcome disagreement and discussion. I will not tolerate inappropriate and tactless insults. Above all else, remember intellectual inconsistency and a blatant disregard for the rule of law is becoming the norm. Help me change this, for all our sakes.

Kevin Lavelle is a sophomore management science and Spanish double major. He can be reached at [email protected].