Department of the Navy renames award in honor of SMU professor

The U.S. Navy recently renamed its award for top engineers to honor SMU engineering professor Delores Etter.

The Navy employs over 35,000 scientists and engineers in research, development, acquisition and sustainment. The Delores M. Etter Top Scientists and Engineers Award is given to those who exhibit superior technical achievements and a continued dedication to scientific and engineering excellence.

The acting Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition, John S. Thackrah was humbled by the opportunity to administer the awards in honor of his predecessor.

“This award ceremony recognizes the top scientists and engineers in the Department of the Navy,” Thackrah said. “It is obvious to me that we have extremely talented people out there in the Department of the Navy, and their efforts are making a difference in the war on terrorism. I am humbled by the opportunity to honor them.”

Etter, former assistant secretary of the Navy for RDA, was honored with the naming of the award after her, as well was impressed by the work her award was honoring.

“I am truly proud to have this award named in my honor,” Dr. Etter said. “It was nice to see all of these familiar faces again here at the Pentagon, especially those award winners who are doing such amazing work in support of the War on Terrorism.”