Assistant McClements named head soccer coach

Guarda leaves SMU for Colorado
SMU Director of Athletics Steve Orsini (left) listens to new head coach of the mens soccer team Tim McClements (right) answer questions at a press conference July 23 in Dallas. McClements previously was an assistant coach of the team.
Lindsey Perkins, Photo Editor, [email protected]
SMU Director of Athletics Steve Orsini (left) listens to new head coach of the men’s soccer team Tim McClements (right) answer questions at a press conference July 23 in Dallas. McClements previously was an assistant coach of the team.

SMU Director of Athletics Steve Orsini (left) listens to new head coach of the men’s soccer team Tim McClements (right) answer questions at a press conference July 23 in Dallas. McClements previously was an assistant coach of the team. (Lindsey Perkins, Photo Editor, [email protected])

After over a month of searching, SMU Athletic Director Steve Orsini found the SMU men’s soccer team a new head coach.

Orsini did not have to look far. Former Vanderbilt head coach and SMU assistant coach Tim McClements was named as Schellas Hyndman’s successor by Orsini on Wednesday.

McClements coached the Vanderbilt Commodores from 2002-2006 and was the Missouri Valley Conference Coach of the Year before the Commodores soccer program was disbanded in 2006. He also holds a United States Soccer Federation “A” license and holds a National Soccer Coaches Association of America diploma.

Hyndman won 368 games while head coach of the Mustangs, making him a tough, if not impossible, act to follow. However, not surprisingly, McClements believes in his coaching ability and the player’s ability to compete.

When asked about following in the shadow of a coaching legend like Hyndman, McClements responded, “Coach Hyndman is considered one of the top coaches at the collegiate level…It’s not like I haven’t been a head coach before. He’s been a mentor to me. But, we are also very different.”

McClements coaching style may differ from Hyndman’s, however their aims are exactly the same. McClements believes that “this is [his] time to put [his] stamp on the program and move if forward.”

The Mustangs are already a perennial powerhouse in Conference USA and have made the College Cup Tournament 23 out of the last 24 years. During the 2005 campaign, the Mustangs fell just short of a College Cup after losing a semi-final match to Maryland. The only “step forward” for the SMU soccer program is winning the elusive College Cup.

McClements is upbeat about the Mustangs’ prospects because of the overall team talent level. “We have great players coming back, and an outstanding recruiting class coming in,” said McClements.

There are seven seniors returning for the 2008 campaign. One notable absence from the roster will be 2007 Herman Trophy Finalist and SMU co-captain Bruno Guarda. Guarda opted to forgo his senior season and turn professional by joining the MLS ranks.

Guarda’s right’s were won by the Colorado Rapids in a weighted lottery. The Rapids also drafted former SMU defender Adrian Chevannes in the 3rd round in this years draft.The SMU midfield will now only return one of four starters from the 2007 season. Ben Shuleva and Scott Corbin both graduated in the spring.

McClements now has an opportunity to implement his coaching style on younger players who do not have as much game experience. The challenge of replacing Hyndman is tough in the best of circumstances. Losing Guarda to the MLS will add one more layer of difficulty.