Mitchell looks to lead team over nationally-ranked TCU

The last time the Mustangs defeated the TCU Horned Frogs was in 2005. Since then, SMU has yet to come close to a win, losing 21-7 in 2007 in Fort Worth and 48-7 in 2008 in Dallas.

“We just treat it like any other game,” head coach June Jones said. “You can’t make anything more out of it than there is. It’s the best team we’ll play all year for sure.”

Now, four years later, head coach June Jones and his team is seeking revenge as they take on their first nationally ranked opponent of the season. Last year, SMU was crushed, 48-7 on their home turf by the Horned Frogs, but this year, many Mustangs feel they are more than ready to bring the Iron Skillet back to Dallas.

“We’re hoping to be one of the surprise teams this year,” sophomore quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell said about upsetting TCU. “Everyone is talking about Boise State, TCU and Houston, but we’re thinking ‘Why not us?’ If we go out there and show we can play against TCU and Houston, it will show the kind of team we are.”

Four years ago, SMU stampeded to a 21-10 victory in Ford Stadium. At the time, SMU was 0-1, having lost the season opener to Baylor. TCU, ranked No.22 team at the time and fresh off a victory over No.5 Oklahoma, suffered their first loss of the season at the hands of a cross-town rival, ending their hopes of going to the BCS.

The victory marked the Mustang’s most important win since receiving the death penalty in 1989, according to smumustangs.com, as SMU had failed to defeat a ranked team since 1986. Since that win, the Mustangs have yet to win against a ranked opponent.

In Saturday’s game, Mitchell and his Mustangs will be up against a larger and faster TCU defense. Still undefeated, the No.11 Horned Frogs have recorded 11 sacks and returned two interceptions. Meanwhile, SMU has turned the ball over 11 times, with Mitchell throwing eight interceptions, and the team losing three fumbles.

“They’re defense is all about gang tackling, where everyone gets to the ball, so they are going to have 11 guys running to the ball on every single play,” Mitchell said. “We’re expecting a real dog fight.”

On the other side of the ball, Mitchell will look to the talent of his top three receivers – senior Emmanuel Sanders, sophomore Terrance Wilkerson and junior Aldrick Robinson.

In his final year on the Hilltop, Sanders enters Amon G. Carter Stadium averaging 130.7 yards per game, with 11.2 yards averaged per carry. Wilkerson, leading the receivers with two touchdowns on the season, is joined by Robinson and sophomore Cole Beasley, giving the SMU passing game an average of 326.3 yards per game and 10.8 yards per reception.

To Sanders, who was a redshirt freshman the last time SMU defeated TCU, this game while being “just another football game” can’t help but admit he feels this could be the biggest game of his career.

“I’ve just got to do me, do what I always do,” Sanders said. “I just have to show up and perform.”

For TCU, quarterback Andy Dalton will be looking to Bart Johnson and Jimmy Young. While the Horned Frogs’ strength lies in running the ball, TCU’s passing game has accounted for four touchdowns and a season average of 208.3 yards per game.

To contain the ground game, SMU will have to stop senior Joseph Turner. With four touchdowns on the season, Turner has racked up an average of 6.9 yards per carry and 73.3 yards per game. The Horned Frogs’ rushing game has accounted for nine touchdowns.

In comparison, SMU running back Shawnbrey McNeal, a transfer student from Miami, has already established himself as a key aspect to the Mustangs’ running game, totaling two touchdowns for an average of 102.7 yards per game.

Whether TCU and SMU decide to run or pass the ball, however, the final score will ultimately come down to who commits the fewest turnovers. While Mitchell struggled with turnovers last year, he assures fans he has what it takes to lead SMU to a 3-1 record.

“We can’t turn the ball over,” Jones said. “When you’re playing good football teams and you make mistakes, they kind of magnify against good teams.”

After suffering from a stomach ulcer in the team’s loss to Washington State, Mitchell said he is back to feeling 100 percent.

“I’m feeling great and my strength is back up,” Mitchell said. “We’re now just going through practices and having fun.”

Despite the game being played 42 miles away from SMU, the team will rely on fan support to help bring home a win. Kick off for the Battle of the Iron Skillet is schedule for 7 p.m.

“Having fans out there will help us a lot. Please, please come,” Sanders said. “We’re already hyped up, but when you come out of the tunnel and see all the SMU fans who have traveled to come see us play, that gives us eve more confidence going into the game and makes us want to perform better.”