Twitter partners with Russian search engine

Graphic by Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus

(Graphic by Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Twitter has enhanced its microblogging empire by signing its first search deal with Russian search engine Yandex.

This deal will allow Russian users to yield Twitter search results on Yandex’s blog section in real time.

The most crucial aspect of the deal is the far reach that Yandex provides Russia. Yandex is Russia’s search engine of choice over Google for web users.

This appears to be a strong move since Twitter has an estimated one million users in Russia and does not have any competitors within the country.

“Twitter’s ability to tap into this emerging market will significantly enhance its popularity with Russian users as well as potentially grow their Russian user base,” SMU junior Luke Johnson said.

Twitter has previously held agreements with both Microsoft’s Bing search engine and Google.

However, Twitter’s agreement with Google expired last July.

Since the expiration, Google and Twitter have not struck up a second deal.

According to England’s The Daily Telegraph, Google and Twitter have had some disagreements over the details of a potential new deal, and thus nothing has come about since the last deal’s expiration.

Twitter continues to hold partnerships with Bing and Yahoo! Search, providing access to its public feed of tweets.

The monetary components of this deal involving licensing agreements have not yet been released, nor have the time constraints surrounding the deal.