Same old, same old from MTV awards show

There’s not much to be said about the 17th annual “MTV Movie Awards” other than, if you’ve seen it once, you’ve practically seen it every year. Comedian Mike Myers had hosting duty for the second time. The first time was back in 1997, a year when “Scream” won the Best Picture category. Yep, “Scream,” the horror movie directed by Wes Craven and starring David Arquette, Neve Campbell and Courtney Cox.

Basically, the “MTV Movie Awards” are just the “Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards,” but with sex jokes and profanity-laden acceptance speeches. However, Zac Efron still wins awards at both ceremonies.

Apart from a fairly funny musical performance by Adam Sandler (people who watch MTV LOVE Adam Sandler!), the show was fairly dry. Myers had a few good jokes and an amusing “Wayne’s World” skit revolving around – surprise! – more sex jokes.

Usually, there are spoofs of movies similar to Billy Crystal’s routine at the Academy Awards. Memorable spoofs include Ben Stiller’s “Mission Impossible 2” skit as Tom Cruise’s stunt double, Tom Crooze, and “Armagedd’NSync.” This year, however, there were no such parodies. Instead, viewers were treated to a clip of Myers as a disgruntled animal trainer with a hoof for a hand. Needless to say, it wasn’t very funny.

Another clip showed Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr. and Ben Stiller promoting their latest film “Tropic Thunder.” In the skit, Downey Jr. wore an Iron Man mask and wreaked havoc on the crotch of a panda mask-wearing Jack Black. Remember: people getting punched, hammered or cattlegunned (à la “No Country for Old Men”) is funny!

Besides Sandler’s rendition of Carly Simon’s “Nobody Does it Better,” Coldplay’s performance was the next best musical presentation. The band’s newest song, “Viva La Vida” sounds like a typical Coldplay song, but doesn’t quite have the hook of past efforts. Regardless, it sounded better than The Pussycat Dolls’ song about wanting to be famous. They’re just like the Spice Girls, but without cool, correlating nicknames and David Beckham.

And now, the winners of the 2008 “MTV Movie Awards”:

Best Movie

“Transformers”

Best Male Performance

Will Smith – “I Am Legend”

Best Female Performance

Ellen Page – “Juno”

Breakthrough Performance

Zac Efron – “Hairspray”

Best Comedic Performance

Johnny Depp – “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”

Best Kiss

Briana Evigan and Robert Hoffman – “Step Up 2 the Streets”

Best Villain

Johnny Depp – “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”

Best Fight

Sean Faris vs. Cam Gigandet – “Never Back Down”

Best Summer Movie So Far

“Iron Man”

MTV Generation Award

Adam Sandler