Frog Fried

Mustangs fall flat in second half, Iron Skillet stays in Ft. Worth

Four games into the season, SMU has proven itself to be a vulnerable second-half team, as was the case in Saturday’s loss to cross-town rival TCU.

The Mustangs scored the first touchdown of the game and trailed the then No.11-ranked Horned Frogs by only five points at halftime. But in the second half TCU showed why they possess the nation’s fifth-longest winning streak, pulling away for a 39-14 win at rain-soaked Amon G. Carter Stadium. With their fourth consecutive win, TCU moved up to the No. 10 spot in Associated Press polls.

The Mustangs (2-2) managed only three first downs in the second half and turned the ball over twice against the No. 16-ranked scoring defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision. SMU has been outscored 73-17 in the second half of their last three games; all of them on the road.

Despite being four-touchdown underdogs on Saturday, SMU proved in the first half they have the chops to hang with the Horned Frogs. The Mustangs stoned TCU on their first four drives, causing a pair of turnovers to run their season total to 17, tying them for first in the nation.

With less than seven minutes remaining in the first quarter, linebacker Pete Fleps forced a fumble in the red zone on a bone-rattling hit, knocking the helmet off TCU receiver Ryan Christian. After SMU recovered, both Fleps and Christian remained on the ground for several minutes before walking off the field on their own power to their respective benches.

Sophomore defensive back Chris Banjo forced another fumble on TCU’s next drive, but the Mustangs once again were not able to capitalize with a score.

SMU finally got on the board 23 seconds into the second quarter, when sophomore quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell hooked up with running back Shawnbrey McNeal on a 24-yard touchdown pass. The drive went 75 yards, accounting for nearly one-third of SMU’s total offense.

TCU retaliated on their next possession with a 43-yard touchdown drive, but Margus Hunt blocked the extra point to keep the Mustangs ahead 7-6. The Horned Frogs finally took the lead for good when Jeremy Kerley returned Matt Szymanski’s punt 71 yards to the house with five minutes left in the first half.

Going into the locker room, SMU’s defense had allowed only five first downs and 162 total yards, stunning the 37,000 brave fans who withstood a steady second-quarter downpour. However, the Horned Frogs got a big break early in the third quarter, allowing them to keep momentum on their side.

With the Mustangs trailing 18-7 with 10 minutes left in the third quarter, Fleps tattooed TCU quarterback Andy Dalton on the TCU 44-yard line, jarring the ball loose. Sterling Moore scooped up the ball and took off towards the endzone, finally being tackled one yard short of the touchdown. However, officials consulted the replay booth, and after more than five minutes of deliberation, they ruled Dalton’s knee was down prior to the ball coming loose.

TCU went three-and-out, but the Mustangs had to start their next drive at their own nine-yard line and failed to gain a single yard. SMU was 3-for-15 on third-down conversions.

The Horned Frogs salted the game away, scoring 21 points in the final 20 minutes. Their stifling defense sacked Mitchell four times, resulting in -16 SMU rushing yards. They also forced two interceptions.

SMU – outscored 59-17 cumulatively in the last six quarters of play – will try to get back on track Saturday against defending Conference USA champion East Carolina. The game kicks off at 7 p.m. at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.