A Message to Daily Campus Readers

It has recently become apparent to me that a select few of The Daily Campus’s readers have made some striking accusations about what we have written, and who we have written about. We have been accused of bias, lying, and a few of our writers have even received death threats.

That is ridiculous. First of all, let me point out that The Daily Campus is not directly affiliated with SMU. We are our own entity and we can write about and say whatever we like. SMU cannot control our content, and they don’t want to. Second of all, it is very obvious that those that accuse us of such awful things do not actually read the article. They see what they want to see and then either stop reading or simply ignore the rest.

If you feel insulted by something that we have written, there are numerous ways to go about letting us know. We are always available for e-mails, phone calls, and visits. It is never our intent to insult you, so when we are made known of your feelings we often run apologies or even personally apologize to you. But please, show us the respect of telling us how you feel through socially acceptable methods.

We try to be as professional as possible in the way we report. But in the end, we are students. We are still learning how to do what we do, and The Daily Campus helps us learn. Yes, we make mistakes, and yes, occasionally we may accidentally offend you. But the purpose of this paper is so we can learn to do better. Your comments and feedback aid us in this process, but it is ridiculous for anyone to expect this paper to be at par with professional newspapers.

So, even if you don’t like what we write or respect what we do, please attempt to tell us in a manner that fosters learning rather than destroys it.

Jessica Huseman is a sophomore CCPA and Political Science double major. She can be reached for comment at [email protected].