Hyndman leaves for FC Dallas

Schellas Hyndman poses with a young fan prior to his first game at head coach of FC Dallas. Hyndman left SMU after 24 seasons. Photo by Lindsey Perkins, The Daily Campus.

FC Dallas, of the MLS, announced the hiring of Schellas Hyndman as the team’s new head coach on June 4.

FC Dallas fired former head coach Steve Morrow on May 21.

In his 24 seasons Hyndman took the Mustangs to the NCAA Tournament 23 times. He leaves the college game with 466 career wins, the 12th highest in NCAA history.

Before coming to SMU, Hyndman was the head coach at his alma mater, Eastern Illinois University. During his seven seasons at ELU he recorded 98 victories.

Hyndman’s 368 wins as head coach at SMU are the most wins ever by any coach in any sport at SMU.

Hyndman’s start with FC Dallas has not been a smooth one. The Hoops are just 1-3-1 with Hyndman leading them, including a 2-1 loss in New England in his debut.

FC Dallas is currently four points behind Western leaders Los Angeles with 16 games left in the season. The Hoops return to the field tonight against Miami FC at 7:30 p.m. at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco.

For more on this story, click here.