SMU PD warns students to be aware of former student

William Allen is described as a 39-year-old white male with blue eyes and brown hair. Allen is 5 feet 11 inches and 165 pounds. Courtesy SMU PD

The SMU Police Department released a crime alert on Oct. 6, warning students of William “Bill” Allen, a former SMU student with a history of threats and intimidating behavior toward university faculty and staff.

“He’s recently indicated he may come to Dallas,” SMU Police Chief Rick Shafer said. “We reiterated to him that he is not allowed on campus, and if he comes to campus he’s suspect to arrest.”

Allen, 39, is described as a 5-foot-11-inch, 165-pound white male with brown hair and blue eyes.

Despite police warnings, Allen has communicated to SMU PD via e-mail that he may stop by Dallas and make an appearance on the SMU campus. A specific date was not mentioned.

“We consider him to be of a concern, but I’m not going to say he’s armed and dangerous,” Shafer said. “There’s never been any indication he’s armed, but dangerous, yes, because some people probably feel that way. Right now we just consider him a concerning person that we don’t want on campus.”

While enrolled in an SMU graduate program four years ago, Allen, according to Shafer, started having issues with advisors, leaving many people feeling threatened by his conduct. Specifically, Shafer said, remarks Allen said and wrote were the largest concern.

In the midst of his studies, Allen was asked to leave the university. Shafer did not know specific details, but he did say that SMU PD remains in correspondence with Allen from time to time, and Allen knows he is not allowed on SMU property.

“I can’t say he ever threatened anyone directly, but many people felt threatened by him,” Shafer said. “He never actually physically threatened anyone.”

There was no mention of direct or indirect threats in Allen’s e-mails to SMU, but Shafer said the university is taking every precaution in case Allen does make an appearance.

“He’s still debating over why he was asked to leave campus, and why he can’t come back,” Shafer said.

Shafer asks anyone who sees Allen or who may have any information to call SMU PD immediately at 214-768-3333.