‘New Visions, New Voices’ series delights audiences

The SMU Division of Theatre premiered “The Life Expectancy of a Rose” Wednesday evening in the Margo Jones Theatre.

“The Life Expectancy of a Rose,” written by Mallory Harwood, is the first play of “New Visions, New Voices,” a festival of plays running throughout the weekend.

The play revolves around three characters, Talor and Ange, a young couple living in their New York apartment, and their nextdoor neighbor Lize. Talor is a famous writer who has entered into a period of inescapable writer’s block while her partner, Ange anxiously awaits the opening of her first restaurant. Ange’s busy work schedule and Talor’s struggle with writing, sickness and alcohol, puts a strain on their relationship. Lize, a prostitute, only fosters the separation of Ange and Talor. The play moves back and forward in time showing the changes in their relationship from the time Lize first moves in to the day of Ange’s restaurant opening, while also showing the gradual weakening of Ange’s and Talor’s relationship.

The writing was wonderful. Harwood, an SMU senior, successfully wrote dialogue that was humorous, yet still addressed many serious themes throughout the play. In addition to the writing, what made this play so enjoyable was the acting. The stage was commanded by three impressively talented performers: Ashley Grombol as Ange, Elizabeth Lovelady as Talor, and Lucinda Roger’s as Lize, all did an exceptional job of making the audience laugh but at the same time never overshadowing the seriousness of the developing love triangle.

“The Life Expectancy of a Rose” will be performed again on Saturday, April 22, at 2 p.m. in the Margo Jones Theatre.