What the hell is this?

A weekly food column
 What the hell is this?
What the hell is this?

What the hell is this?

After sobering up from a long day of drinking on Easter Sunday, a few friends of mine and I went out looking for a place to stuff our face. After cruisin’ around for a while looking for something that was open, we nearly gave up hope and thought about settling for some egg sandwiches at my place. That’s when my boy Ralphy (an alias has been used for legal reasons,) suggested we go to a place called Cucuitos, located quite a ways down Henderson across from the Supermercado. Starving, we all quickly agreed and headed on down to the barrio.

Now, we all know about Dallas’s Mexican restaurants- be it Mi Cocina, Javier’s, Taco Diner, what have you, but if you are really interested in getting some straight up authentic Mexican food, Cucuitas is the place you need to go. No, it is not fancy or ostentatious like the other joints the majority of us gringos are used to, but this place really is something else, and definitely worth a try, at least. I do suggest bringing along a learned person in the Spanish language, as this place is so real, many of the waitresses barely speak any English. Adds character if you ask me.

Regardless, I enjoyed a generous serving of flautas that puts Taco Diner to shame. My buddy had what appeared to be real chalupas which were tasty as well, and makes me question what the hell Taco Bell is feeding us, because one of the two aren’t the real deal. I have a sneaking suspicion Cucuitos serves them up right. The best dish between us all had to be the juevos enchiliquitos. Never have I seen this dish before but I’m telling you, I’ll definitely be back just for it.

So basically the food is great, but what tickled my fancy even more were the rice and beans. The best in Dallas in my opinion, and I usually don’t even touch the stuff at other so-called Mexican restaurants.

Without saying Cucuitos made for a great Easter meal, and you can bet that I’ll be back to frequent this place quite a bit after partying it up on Henderson on the weekends. Adding icing to the cake, this place stays open till 4 a.m. on the weekends. Que magnifico! Sticking to my prior cliche, the real sprinkles on top of the icing on the cake came along with the tab. This place is so cheap even my thriftiest friend agreed to pick up the bill!

Bottom line, good stuff. Befitting even on one of the holiest days for us religious zealots.

H&A. Fair, balanced, telling you how it is.

Harrison Polsky and Alex Schmidt can be reached at [email protected]