British Invasion: Six British bands Americans should get to know

It’s true. Indie boys in the UK wear slightly tighter jeans and more girls wear their hair short like 10-year-old boys. But the British ultra-indie look is not in vain. It matches the flourishing ultra-indie scene, which comes full of scenester tunes that hit all the right notes. Here is a list of bands worth checking into, especially if you share the sentiment that the American indie music scene is slightly lacking; because what the American music scene is missing, the Brits would say they have sorted.

Bombay Bicycle Club (named after a restaurant in London) released its debut EP in February 2007 and its second in October 2007, which hit No. 2 on the UK Indie Chart. All the while, the members of the nascent band were trying to pass their GCSEs (roughly the British equivalent of sophomore end-of-year exams). Despite their youth (and goofy band name) the four boys from North London produce original yet infectious tunes. Their first single “Evening/Morning” will be released Aug. 4 and will definitely be worth checking out.

Song to download: “The Hill.”

Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip is a two-man rap and DJ team. Scroobius Pip is responsible for most of the catchy and oh-so-clever rhymes, while Dan Le Sac backs the lyrics with perfect beats. The duo is most well-known for the 2007 song “Thou Shalt Always Kill” and released its debut album, “Angles,” on May 12. The team’s proclaimed mission (on their track “Fixed”) is to fix “hip hop as best [they] can,” and so far they’re doing a pretty fine job.

Song to download: “Look For The Woman.”

Foals released its debut album “Antidotes” in Britain on March 24, but the band was mustering up attention long before then. Earlier in the year, music magazine NME put Foals on a list of “new bands that will define the year.” It is a pretty bold statement that is proving to be true as Foals gains more momentum in the London music scene. The band’s sound lends itself to a description of post-punk dance music, but is really more obscure and intriguing than just that.

Song to download: “Electric Bloom.”

Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong shudder at the idea of being labeled “indie.” The band hates labels all together (doesn’t every indie band?), but if the band’s effervescent melodies and irresistible choruses have to be classified as something, they prefer “pop.” Regardless of what their music is called, it’s catching on. The band formed in late 2006 and released its debut single, “Lucio Starts Fires,” in October 2007. Following the release, the band was named No. 7 on the BBC’s “Sound of 2008 Poll.” Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong released its third single, “Where Do You Go,” in June, and it peaked at No. 9 on the UK charts.

Song to download: “Lucio Starts Fires.”

Noah and the Whale will make you smile. It’s that simple. The four-piece band (lead singer Charlie Fink barely in his 20s) play endearing folk-pop tunes that beckon a bit of humming and whistling along. The band released its first single, “Five Years’ Time,” in September 2007 and its second single, “2 Bodies, 1 Heart,” in January 2008. Noah and the Whale has been soaked up by the music festival scene and is picking up momentum by converting each audience into new-age folk-music fans. Even car company Saturn has recognized the contagious excitement of Noah and the Whale because “Five Years’ Time” is featured in its latest commercial.

Song to download: “Five Years’ Time.”

Cajun Dance Party is a five-piece band (four guys, one girl) barely emerging from their teenage years and already making dents in the UK indie-pop music scene. With the band’s debut single, “The Next Untouchable,” released in April 2007, Cajun Dance Party began its journey toward indie stardom with its charming, light-hearted sound that should not be taken lightly. The band is currently touring in support of its debut album, “The Colourful Life,” released on April 28. Despite gigs being across the pond, the band is still a definite must-see.

Song to download: “Colourful Life.”