Greyhound adds cheap options to Houston

Greyhound+plans+on+offering+%241+tickets+from+Dallas+to+Houston.+
Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Greyhound plans on offering $1 tickets from Dallas to Houston.

Greyhound plans on offering $1 tickets from Dallas to Houston. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Greyhound, the largest intercity bus transportation, is bringing the Greyhound Express to the Lone Star State.

Greyhound Express provides short-distance non-stop or one-stop service to and from major Greyhound service hubs including New York, Washington D.C. and now Dallas.

Following its one-year anniversary, Greyhound Express will be expanding its service by adding routes between Dallas and Houston.

SMU students who want to visit Houston can now take the Greyhound Express instead of driving or flying.

Greyhound is the first company to bring a premium-level, low-fare intercity bus service to Texas.

“[The] expansion into Texas signifies that Greyhound Express is rapidly becoming the type of service customers prefer, covering four major regions of the United States — Midwest, Northeast, Southeast and South — and also in Alberta, Canada,” Dave Leach, Greyhound president and CEO, said in a press release.

“Last month, we celebrated our one-year anniversary by launching service in Florida. We’re proud nearly 1.3 million customers have experienced this new premium service since it launched,” Leach said. “Greyhound Express has proved to be a service that our customers truly appreciate.”

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Intercity buses, like Greyhound, are actually the safest mode of transportation over cars, trucks, trains, plans and other commercial vehicles.

The Greyhound Express buses come with improvements.

Customers get a guaranteed seat as well as free Wi-Fi, power outlets, extra legroom and leather seats.

The buses seat 50 passengers.

They currently have 88 of these new buses running the express route.

“Since Greyhound made a lot of improvements to their buses, the trip would be worth a try,” junior and Houston-native Ryan Cole said.

The express trip from Dallas to Houston will take four hours and eight minutes each way.

Dallas native Sameen Ali thinks the Greyhound Express will be a great addition to Dallas.

“The buses are an economically convenient alternate choice if people don’t want to drive,” she said.

The bus would leave from 205 S. Lamar St. in Dallas and arrive at 2121 Main St. in Houston.

“I’d love to try the Greyhound’s new service,” junior Jacqueline Velasquez-Ross said. “The drive to Houston is four hours, and it’d be nice to enjoy the ride.”

Ross travels back and forth from Houston many times a semester to visit family and friends. She thinks that this will give people another option for transportation since gas prices and plane tickets are on the rise.

Service from Dallas to Houston and vice versa begins Feb. 29.

Ticket fares begin at a dollar and are now on sale at www.mygreyhoundexpress.com.

Greyhound customers can now buy their Express ticket online for discount pricing.

Then they can either print their ticket at home or pick it up at a self-service ticketing kiosk.

“I would definitely try the Greyhound, especially if I didn’t have a car,” senior Allie Feldman said. “Flights to Houston are about $70 each way, so this is a really great deal.”