SMU maintains unbeaten streak at home

Webb looks to capture shut out following 1-0 win over Rice

Coming off their first conference win of the year, the Mustangs (3-7-1, 1-2-1 Conference-USA) will look to keep their unbeaten home streak alive with a pair of games this weekend at Westcott Field.

Last Friday, SMU, with the help of sophomore goalkeeper Courtney Webb, shut out the Rice Owls (2-8-2, 0-4-0) by a score of 1-0. On Sunday, the Mustangs played the University of Houston Cougars (3-7-1, 1-2-1) to a 1-1 tie in double overtime.

“To get a win and a tie is not a bad weekend,” head coach Brent Erwin said. “Our team has a very high standard for themselves, and at home. We always want to win.”

For Webb, Friday’s shutout was her second of the year, and she recorded nine saves in 200 minutes combined against Rice and Houston.

“We’re playing good defense and giving up fewer goals,” Erwin said. “I think our team is getting better every time we play.”

Freshmen midfielders Mallory Baum and Allegra Nigh each scored their first career goal over the weekend, and Erwin feels his group of first- and second-year players are beginning to make their presence felt.

“It started to take shape a little bit last year,” he said. “But the only reason they’re coming in there and doing what they are is because of the leadership of the upperclassmen.”

Erwin recognized senior defender Kim Peabody and team captains Kristin Medeiros and Lauren Shepherd as critical players on a squad featuring 21 underclassmen.

Up next for SMU is a Friday matchup against the Marshall Herd (10-2-0, 3-1-0), currently the top team is C-USA.

While Erwin acknowledges Marshall’s hot start, he maintains that each team brings with it a new set of challenges.

“Every game in the league is a hard game,” he said. “Ours is a team on the ascent, and I’m excited to see where we can go.”

Kickoff against the Herd is set for Friday at 7 p.m. The Mustangs will then take on the East Carolina University Pirates (7-3-2, 2-2-0) Sunday at 2 p.m. Both games will be at SMU’s Westcott Field.