Budget possible on fall break despite destination

Now that we’ve been in school for over a month, it’s time for a break.

The first round of exams have come and gone. You’ve earned it — take a little R & R.

Whether you are headed to the airport or back to your apartment for this long weekend, make it worthwhile. You don’t have to break the bank to recharge over fall break.

If you’re leaving town, make arrangements with different friends to take you to and from the airport.

DFW airport is a trek from campus, so be respectful and divvy it up.

Ask one friend to take you and another to pick you up. Always offer to pay for gas. If you’re the friend driving, politely decline. After all, you know your friend would do the same for you.

This can save you parking, cab fare or gas money depending on your usual transportation.

If you’re flying out of Love Field, finding a ride shouldn’t be a problem. Travel light by only taking what you need. You can re-wear jeans and shoes if you plan accordingly.

By carrying on your luggage, you can save on baggage fees.With all of the TSA rules, especially on liquids, it can be tempting to just throw everything in a large bag and check it.

Don’t.

Invest in some reusable travel-size toiletry bottles. Transfer what you need and seal it in a plastic bag.You’ll save around $25 in bag fees and won’t have to worry about the airline los

ing your luggage.

Be sure to take cash to restrict yourself to a budget. People make better financial decisions when they see cash physically leave their wallet. Credit cards can be dangerous, but always have them on hand in case of an emergency.

You never know when you’ll need cab home at 2 a.m. or have to pay for an extra night in a hotel.

To save on meals, stop by a local grocery store and pick up s

ome bagels or cereal bars for breakfast. This instantly saves you one third of what you would spend going out for breakfast. But don’t neglect Sunday brunch; it’s fall break after all.

If you’re staying in town, take some time to regroup.

Chill by the pool or go for a run. It’s finally time to really enjoy Texas weather. It will be winter before we know it.

Have friends over for a potluck dinner party and catch up on all your favorite TV shows.

Whatever you do, don’t do homework.