See you at the fair

OP/ED
 See you at the fair
See you at the fair

See you at the fair

“Howdy, folks! Welcome to the State Fair ofTexas!”

No, you’re not hearing things. That’s the big,booming voice of Big Tex welcoming you to the 50th Annual StateFair of Texas.

To celebrate my dad’s birthday, I took my parents to FairPark over the weekend. I plan to go again with friends during FallBreak. Here are some of the things I’ve been telling them tolook out for:

The shows. Be sure to grab a program guide when you firstget in the gate. This gives you all times and places for each show.I definitely recommend the “Birds of the World” showsponsored by Kroger, where audiences get to see some amazing birdsperform a variety of tricks.

Another show to see is the “Top Flight K-9s” show inthe PanAm Arena, which features dogs from the Purina EukanubaNational Championship.

And while you’re at it, catch the Chinese Acrobats on theMcDonald Stage. They’re hilarious.

The auto show. This is second on my list of motivationsto attend the Fair. This year, visitors can view some of the latestconcept and production vehicles from domestic companies such asFord and General Motors.

The 2005 Hummer H2 SUT is on display, but the only thing thatdistinguishes it from the H2 SUV is the truck bed in the back. Theinterior and engine specs are virtually the same.

Nearby are the 2005 Corvettes. My only impression is that Iapplaud Chevrolet for finally changing the headlamps from theoutdated flip configuration.

Over near the wall was the new Pontiac GTO. I was surprisedthere weren’t a lot of people drooling over this one,considering the legendary status of its 1960s ancestor. Idon’t care much for the new look, but I can’t reallysay anything without a peek under the hood.

And of course, the only Dodge worth looking at is the venomousViper. Of course, I couldn’t actually see it. Dodge decidedto set up a mini photography studio on the show floor wherevisitors can have their picture taken with Ferrari’s distantcousin and a score of showgirls. You can only imagine mydisappointment to see a fine machine covered by a bunch of scantilyclad butts.

The animals. There are two animals that I must see everyyear. The first are the puppies, rabbits and baby ducks that areright outside the PanAm Arena. Small children get a kick out of theadorable fuzziness as much as I do.

The second are the Budweiser Clydesdales. The massive horses arekept in stables in the park for visitor viewing. Look for Kyle. Helikes to put his nose to the bars for people to pet him.

The food. This is my number one reason for attending theFair. This year, some vendors feature fried Oreo’s, fried icecream, fried cheesecake and just about anything that will fit intoa fryer. Of course, the usual suspects are the turkey legs, thecorny dogs, the roasted corn, the cotton candy, the salt-watertaffy, and so on. But enjoy in moderation. Not only is fair foodnotorious for a plethora of digestive problems, it’s easy tospend $30 for one person on food alone.

The Texas vs. OU game. This year, the rivals battle itout at the Cotton Bowl Saturday. If you choose to attend the fairon this day, be ready for lots of traffic and plenty of shoutingand beer guzzling from the stadium and any place on the fairgroundthat has a television. Oh yes, and if you hear an OU fan shout atthe top of his drunken lungs, “We own this state!” youhave my permission to smack him.

This doesn’t cover it, of course. There are plenty ofshows, cooking demos, competitions, rides and games to partakeduring your time at the fair.

Fair tickets are normally $12, but SMU offers discounted ticketsat the Mane Desk for $10 a piece.

Parking on the fairgrounds is $8 per car. I highly recommend the$5 lots outside the gate. Or DART features a special bus to thefair grounds that leaves from the City Place station.

Oh yes, and brings lots of bottled water, lest you don’tmind forking over $3 for a 16 oz. bottle at the fair.

The fair runs from Sept. 24 to Oct. 17. More fair informationcan be found at www.bigtex.com.

Christine Dao is a senior journalism major. She may becontacted at [email protected].