SMU Chaplain to say goodbye in December

SMU Chaplain to say goodbye in December
Nick McCarthy

(Nick McCarthy)

In an e-mail sent to the SMU community, President R. Gerald Turner announced the intentions of William M. Finnin Jr. to retire as Chaplain to the University effective Dec. 31, 2008, thanking him for his years of service to SMU.

“Chaplin Finnin’s contributions to the university are numerous,” Turner said. “Under his leadership, the Office of the Chaplin has been an inclusive resource to the university’s diverse religious population. But aside from the many programmatic contributions Chaplin Finnin has made to our campus, it is the personal relationships and hours of pastoral care for which he will most be remembered.

“During difficult times, countless numbers of students and their families, faculty and staff have received an encouraging word, a warm and understanding spirit, and a strong shoulder,” he said.

Finnin will be on study leave starting July 1. Finnin, an ordained Elder, plans to continue to be involved with the United Methodist Church as a minister. SMU will begin to search for a new chaplain later this summer.

Finnin earned his bachelor’s degree from Centenary College and is a summa cum laude graduate of the Divinity School at Duke University. He earned his doctorate in theology from the Iliff School of Theology at the University of Denver. Prior to coming to SMU, he was the Director of The Uniting Campus Ministry at Louisiana State University.

In 1980, he was appointed as Chaplain to SMU by then-President James Zumberge. During his years at SMU, he founded the SMU Wesley Foundation. He also was involved in the development of the Civil Rights Pilgrimage and the Journey of Remembrance.