Showdown on the ‘Smurf Turf’

The Red Zone
 Showdown on the Smurf Turf
Showdown on the ‘Smurf Turf’

Showdown on the ‘Smurf Turf’

One win cannot make a season. But it sure does a lot to help ateam’s confidence, and SMU has a little bit of a swaggerafter breaking their 15-game losing streak with a 36-13 win lastweekend against San Jose State. Next up is a much stiffer task inthe form of defending WAC champion Boise St. The Broncos sit at 4-0and are ranked 21st and 23rd respectively in the Coaches’ andAP polls. Boise escaped with a victory last weekend over BYU as theCougars missed a field goal as time expired handing the Broncos a28-27 victory.

Boise St. coach Dan Hawkins says the Broncos see a lot of goodthings from the Mustangs.

“They have some really good young talent in there,”says Hawkins, “and you can really see that [ontape].”

The Mustangs hope they can look that good against the Broncos aswell by pulling a miracle on the blue turf at Bronco Stadium.

Key Match-Up

SMU’s RB Foy Munlin vs. BSU’s LB KoreyHall

Munlin had a breakout performance last week against the Spartansin his best performance of his college career. Munlin’s 114yards on 16 carries included 32 yard touchdown scamper to cap theMustang scoring for evening. Munlin’s touchdown was abeautiful scamper around the right side, and showed the speed andpower that Mustang fans had heard so much about. For the first timethis season the Mustangs could stick with the run throughout thecontest as they led the Spartans from wire to wire and Munlin tookadvantage of the added carries by wearing down the San Josedefense.

The Broncos have a superb sophomore that Munlin and the rest ofthe offense may get tired of seeing. Korey Hall has already beennamed conference player of the week twice due to his 27 tackles, 3sacks, and 4.5 tackles for loss. Against the Cougars, Hall seemedto be in on every play as he had made 11 tackles and sackedBYU’s John Beck twice. Munlin will be Hall’s maintarget, but the 231 pond linebacker doesn’t leave the fieldon passing downs. Earlier this season against Oregon St., Hall hadthree interceptions and took one of those 46 yards for atouchdown.

Hall is the leader of a Bronco rush defense that Coach Hawkinspraised last week.

“Our rush D was outstanding,” says Hawkins,”and we sacked them eight times.”

Hall and the rest of the Bronco defense surely have their sitesset on shutting Munlin down. If Munlin can shake Hall and pick upyardage early, the ‘Stangs can control the clock, wear outthe defense, and have a chance to win in Boise.

X-Factors

Boise St’s WR T.J. Acree

The Speedster from Pocatello, Idaho, is coming off the best gameof his career against BYU last week. Acree caught 7 passes for 133yards and two scores. His second score was one of the biggest inBronco history as it gave the team a 28-27 lead with just overthree minutes to go, keeping the Broncos dream of an undefeatedseason alive.

The Bronocs like to get Acree matched up in one-on-one coverageby running him in motion and hiding him in odd formations. Acreewas named the MVP of the Broncos’ FT. Worth Bowl victory overTCU last season and seems ready to claim All-WAC First Team honorsthis year. If the Mustangs can keep Acree from beating them deepdown the field and limit Acree to short catches, SMU has a chanceto pull a shocker on the “Smurf turf”.

SMU’s WR Chris Foster

The question was for a receiver to step up and make some bigplays and the Mustangs may have found the answer in Foster. Lastweek against the Spartans, Foster caught five passes for 76 yardsand two touchdowns, and seemed to be the quarterbacks’security blanket whenever they got into trouble.

Foster’s route to SMU is an odd one as he started hiscareer in Morris, Minn., playing for the University ofMinnesota-Morris. After two seasons of playing NAIA football in theUpper Midwest Athletic Conference, Foster decided to transfersomeplace closer to his home in Plano. Foster’s talent hasshown that he belongs at the Division I level according to CoachBennett.

“It’s obvious that he’s got a little bit ofskill,” says Bennett, “and he’s playedgreat.”

If Foster can find his way to the end zone again against theBroncos, the long trip home could be a happy one for theMustangs.

Inside the Broncos

We’re going Streaking!!!

Yes, Boise St. has gone Old School on the college footballworld. It has put together some impressive streaks over the lastcouple seasons. The Broncos have the longest winning streak in thenation at 15 games and have won 28 of 29 overall. The blue turf ofBronco Stadium is very friendly to the Broncos as well, as theyhave won 21 straight home games, which is also the longest currentstreak in Division I, and, since 1999 the Broncos have won 35 of 36home games. The WAC has been the Broncos own personal domain asthey have won 19 straight conference games and have the all timeWAC record of 25 wins in site. That record was set by the 1984-85BYU team that holds the conference’s only NationalChampionship.

The key to this success is the multi-faceted, high-poweredoffense led by offensive coordinator Chris Peterson. The Broncosare currently averaging 48.25 pts/game which, although 3rdnationally, is behind the Broncos lofty standards as Boise has ledthe nation in scoring three of the last four years. This yearPeterson has handed the reigns of the offense to sophomore QB JaredZabransky, and the potato farmer from Hermiston, Ore., has beenunbelievable in leading the diversified Bronco attack. Zabranskyhas completed 67% of his passes for 1,153 yards and 7 touchdowns,while also running for four more scores. Zabransky leads a Broncooffense that features a myriad of sets with numerous personalpackages. Last week against BYU, nine players had receptions,(including Zabransky), and eight players rushed the ball for BoiseSt. If the Broncos score near their average it could be a longevening for the Mustangs.

Inside the Mustangs

Fully Stocked

In one week, the SMU offense went from a question mark to apleasant surprise and credit goes to offensive coordinator RustyBurns for opening up the playbook. Last week, receiver MattRushbrook threw two half back passes, one of which went to QB JeradRomo for a 14-yard touchdown. In the passing game Burns appeared todiversify the play calling as both Romo and starter Tony Eckertlooked comfortable in the pocket and led the team on scoringdrives.

Eckert opened the game by leading the Mustangs on consecutivetouchdown drives, making Head Coach Phil Bennett question his ownthought process.

“When Tony led us on the those two scores,” Bennettremarked, “I almost didn’t put Jerad in, but thecoaches convinced me to stick with the game plan.”

Romo took advantage of his first extended opportunity of theyear by throwing for 52 yards on 4 of 7 passing and one touchdown.Burns also called a variety of runs for Romo as he ran for 69 yardson 11 carries.

Eckert’s numbers were great as well, as he completed 9 of15 passes for 91 yards and one touchdown and also ran for a score.All night the quarterbacks used Munlin to set up the passing gameand found receivers all over the field. Expect to see both onSaturday with Eckert getting the start as Chris Phillips stillnurses a rotator cuff injury. If Burns continues to game plan aswell as he did against the Spartans, and the QB’s continuetheir stellar play, the Mustangs will keep the Broncos off-balance,and SMU will be in position to shock the college footballworld.

Unfamiliar Enemy

This is the second meeting ever between the two schools with theonly prior meeting being BSU’s 45-3 romp last season inGerald Ford Stadium. The Mustangs make their first trip to Boisethis weekend with kickoff in Bronco Stadium set at 7:05 Saturdaynight.

The game will be televised locally on KFWD Channel 52 at 7p.m.

Trent Redden is a junior finance and public policy major. Hecan be reached at [email protected].