Singers vie for Mustang Idol

While Fall Break meant a time of rest and relaxation for some, ahandful of SMU students spent their weekend singing, dancing andpreparing for “Mustang Idol” 2004.

Celebrating its third year on campus, “Mustang Idol”is a unique version of FOX’s “American Idol”,with an SMU twist. Starring students from across campus instead ofhopefuls from across the nation, the event is judged by singers,local radio personalities and past winners, not the taunting trioof Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson.

In 2002, then-sophomore theatre major TK Stillman won whilesinging Maxwell’s “This Woman’s Work”, andfirst-year vocal performance major Bryan Watt wooed the audiencewith his rendition of Lonestar’s “Amazed” lastNovember.

This year’s audition process is a bit different than thefirst two “Mustang Idol” events. While past contendershad just one try-out to prove their talents, a “series”format — similar to such shows as “Survivor”— will occur.

Tonight, the final round of auditions will take place at 9 p.m.during “3140 Café” in the Varsity. After thisevening’s performances, nine finalists will be chosen toparticipate in “Mustang Idol” on Nov. 12.

According to 2003 runner-up Brett Warner, a senior journalismmajor and judge for this year’s “Idol”, theanxiety leading up to auditions pales in comparison to the edginessof performance night.

“The actual performance is more frightening,” shesaid, “because there are judges and an audiencewatching.”

No matter how far an “Idol” hopeful reaches, thosewatching the auditions are sure to get a good show.

“There are two parts to a good Mustang Idol,” Warnerexplained. “Number one, vocal talent; and number two,personality.

“It doesn’t matter how good of a singer youare,” she continued, “if an audience doesn’tenjoy watching you.”

For questions regarding “Mustang Idol” 2004, contactStacy Smith at [email protected].