Laundry how-to

When you arrive at college you find yourself with many new responsibilities, and one of these responsibilities is laundry (unless you have Mustang Laundry). Sometime in the next few years, we will all have to learn how to to keep our whites white and our colors bright.

Here are some of the toughest stains you may encounter, and how to treat them.

First up is car grease: rub a strong detergent or pre wash stain remover onto the surface of the stain. Wash in hot water (at the highest temperature that is recommended for the garment), and repeat until the stain is gone.

For coffee or tea stains, soak in oxygen bleach or an enzyme presoak, and again, wash in hot water.

Soaking immediately in cold water is the best way to tackle blood stains. If the blood is already dry and set into the fabric, soak in warm water with an enzyme product.

For most other stains, rub the specific spot with a strong detergent – always with the weave or knit of the fabric – never in circles or back and forth. Gently rinse.

Cocktails, especially those mixed with fruit juice or punch, are conquered by immediately sponging with a white cloth, damp with cool water. Then soak with an enzyme presoak as soon you can. If possible, bleach, but if bleaching will damage the integrity of the fabric color, try vinegar as a substitute.

Perspiration can be a problem no matter how careful you are after a night on the town. Use a strong detergent on the spot(s) immediately, and then wait about an hour. Wash in hot water, and try bleach if needed.

Often in an attempt to prevent the previous problem, we get a deodorant stain in its place. To correct a stain, rub liquid detergent on it, and then wash in the hottest water safe for the garment. When possible, use prewash stain removers – you should allow them to stand for five to 10 minutes, it will be a lot of help.

The main dilemma with washing clothes is deciding what method to employ for each piece of clothing. Basically, anything can be done, if in moderation. Contrary to the myth, dry cleaning does not shorten the life of a garment (unless it is done too often), nor does any method of stain removal. The wear and tear of foreign blemishes hurts the clothing far more than simply washing it. Just wait, within reason, to dry clean. The same goes for bleach: don’t do it unless you must.

The rules for clothes in college are pretty simple: Get the stain out quickly and wash something when it needs washing!