Student Body Officer ElectionsMichael Dorff

Student body president

As part of their application for student body president, vicepresident and secretary, candidates have been allowed to writecommentaries detailing their platforms. Today’s commentaries arewritten by students campaigning for the office of student bodypresident. The Senate election, originally slated to run fromWednesday, Feb. 26 to Thursday, Feb. 27, has been postponed due tothis week’s severe weather, but will be rescheduled. Don’t forgetto vote!

Rising tuition rates, rapists, racism, rampant waste andunder-representation – these are problems SMU students face. Theseare concerns the Student Senate must address. Your student bodypresident must lead the Senate forward on these issues and must bewilling to stand up and fight for a better way. The student bodypresident election of 2003 is one in which you, the student, mustdecide who you trust to fight for you.

Do Dorff

“Doing Dorff” means electing a junior who has already served intwo Senate Officer positions, held three Senate seats and chaired aSenate committee. Doing Dorff means choosing an experienced studentleader with a record of taking on the issues that affect your dailylife at SMU.

Scholarship opportunities

The Senate has handed out over $200,000 in unspent “residual”funds in the past three years. Under the Dorff scholarshipproposal, a percentage of the leftover residual funds willimmediately become available to students as scholarship aid.Tuition continues to rise at above-normal rates, but with MichaelL. Dorff as student body president, the Senate will do everythingit can to increase scholarship opportunities.

Safety

With a new police chief on the horizon, the new president has anopportunity to work with the university and the police to ensurethat the first priority of the SMU PD is the personal safety ofevery single student. That means identifying and protectingstudents from the 49 registered sex offenders living in the SMUarea. Under Dorff, Senate will also work to provide organizationsand local establishments with date rape drug-testing drink coastersso students can take an active role in their safety.

Diversity

SMU should be a place where all people are welcome and acceptedand appreciated for who they are. The university actively recruitsa more diverse student body and actively works to maintain thediversity we now enjoy. The Senate can help with these endeavorsand Dorff will make sure that it does. Dozens of studentorganizations work constantly to improve SMU’s cultural awarenessand racial climate. These organizations deserve more support fromSenate leadership and all the resources the Senate can provide.

Representation

In the past, the Senate included representation from specialinterest groups including IFC, NPHC, MGC, Panellenic and a GenderIssues senator. It is time for these groups to have their voicesheard once again with representation in the Senate.

Do Dorff

When you vote, remember that Michael L. Dorff is the candidateyou can rely on to continue fighting for you.