First-year students receive awards

A horde of eager, smiling freshmen congregated in Meadows Museumlast Thursday to receive recognition for their academic achievementduring the first semester.

The Fifth Annual First-year Academic Excellence Banquet, held inJones Hall, honored the 176 out of 1300 first-years who achieved atleast a 3.75 grade point average last semester, including 32 whoaccomplished a 4.0.

Guest speaker Dr. Joseph F. Kobylka, a political scienceprofessor, combined humor, positive reinforcement and personalaccounts for the students while encouraging them to continue theirhunger for knowledge and leadership throughout life’spath.

“In six or seven years, no one will care about your pasthonors. All they will care about is you and what you bring to thetable. Don’t be smug. Don’t be satisfied. It’s along road. You need to continue and expand this successindividually, socially and institutionally,” Kobylkasaid.

Kobylka concluded his speech by encouraging the students to getinvolved.

“Get involved on campus. Join Mustang Link, MustangMonday, Week of Welcome. Even if you don’t join some type oforganization, leave SMU knowing that it’s a better place nowthan when you arrived, and that it will be a better place forfuture students, generations, and you upon your return.”

Following the speech, the presentation of the certificates ofacademic excellence began. Four Learning Enhancement Assistantspresented the first-years that live in their respective dorms withindividual certificates. Although 176 students were recognized,only 100 were present.

Michael Kwas, a first-year award recipient, was very happy withthe events. “It’s very gratifying to be recognized forall the hard work put in during the first semester,” saidKwas.

Concluding the ceremony, Vicki Hill, the Director of theAltshuler Learning Enhancement Center, congratulated the studentsfor overcoming the temptations of everyday student life, such asAOL Instant Messenger, skipping classes, beginning the weekend aday early, and also for earning their exemplary remarks.

Gram believed that Kobylka’s speech made a very positiveimpact on the first-year students.

“The speech helped the students realize that academicresponsibilities extend outside the classroom, and if you choosenot to use your mind to help change the world, you are wastingit,” Gram said.