BACCHUS band bash

Group plans to mix Spring Break education with live music entertainment

Spring break is close on the horizon and the SMU chapter of BACCHUS is hosting a band showcase to bring it in right.

Tonight’s showcase will cater to a variety of musical tastes. Local band DownLo is a hard rock outfit that recently headlined at the Galaxy Club. It brings in a sound that’s been compared to Godsmack.

Also performing is a hip-hop group called FDAP (Fuh-DAP), which features a four-piece band and three emcees.

Bringing in the rap/rock fusion sound is The Big Red Rooster. A few members of this group are BACCHUS Band Showcase veterans who performed with a group called Multi-ID in the fall.

The showcase will also feature special guest Andrew Yenne, who will perform an acoustic solo set.

The first band showcase was held in the spring of 2002. Word got around on campus about the mini concerts, and more than 140 students showed up for the BACCHUS kick-off party last fall.

BACCHUS stands for Boosting Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students. The goal of the organization’s showcase is to bring students together to be entertained and educated. The group advocates the importance of having a “safe spring break” by exercising good judgment.

BACCHUS wants students to practice sexual responsibility, and understand the dangers of substance abuse and impaired driving.

The event is free and will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Hughes-Trigg Varsity. There will be free pizza, soft drinks and condoms.